Shimano 105 Integrated 8 SIS questions

nicoll

Guest
Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the above derailleur please, I
couldn't find any additional part numbers.

Will it work with a block with 7 sprockets and what is the maximum front
and back range of sprockets it will work with.

I've tried the Shimano web site but I couldn't find info for older parts.

Thanks

nicoll wrote:
> Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the above derailleur
> please, I couldn't find any additional part numbers.
>
> Will it work with a block with 7 sprockets and what is the maximum
> front and back range of sprockets it will work with.
>
> I've tried the Shimano web site but I couldn't find info for older
> parts.
>
> Thanks

It will almost certainly work with 7 sprockets. As for ranges, I have had an
old 7 speed double 105 mech work with

53/39/30 up front and 13-24 on the rear. It'll probably work with a large
sprocket up 28, the capacity to take up chain slack is the crucial thing so
I shortened the chain a tad but this means I daren't try to engage 30x13 or
53x24. These parts are muchmore forgiving than the manufacturers will have
you believe

"Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> nicoll wrote:
> > Can anyone answer a couple of questions about the above derailleur
> > please, I couldn't find any additional part numbers.
> >
> > Will it work with a block with 7 sprockets and what is the maximum
> > front and back range of sprockets it will work with.
> >
> > I've tried the Shimano web site but I couldn't find info for older
> > parts.
> >
> > Thanks

> It will almost certainly work with 7 sprockets. As for ranges, I have had

an
> old 7 speed double 105 mech work with
>
> 53/39/30 up front and 13-24 on the rear. It'll probably work with a large
> sprocket up 28, the capacity to take up chain slack is the crucial thing

so
> I shortened the chain a tad but this means I daren't try to engage 30x13

or
> 53x24. These parts are muchmore forgiving than the manufacturers will have
> you believe

From memory, the max sprocket size is 28T (as Martin states), and the
overall chain wrap ( [big chainring - little chainring] + [big sprocket -
little sprocket] ) should also not exceed 28T. This is why Martin's unable
to use the two gears he describes. As he says, there is a certain amount of
leeway in manufacturers' specs (droput designs make a difference, etc.), but
you'll certainly be safe within these limits.