Shimano 105 Pedals Vs Time Impact

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Iam currently using time impact pedals but as my pedals are now coming to the end of thier life I am considering changing to the 105 s as they are more cost effective; I was wondering if anybody has had expirience of these pedals and wondered if the float was similar and in general what are they like also are they similar to the look system as I have had trouble with these in the past

I have been using the Ultegra version of the Shimano pedals for the past few years; these are 99.9% the same as the 105 ones, except they're probably in a different colour and a bit heavier.

The Shimano SPD-SL pedals are very good and the cleats are easy to clip in and out of, and quite easy to walk in (not as slippery as LOOK). In general a good all-round pedal that are easy to live with. Mechanical wise they are similar to the Look system. The only downside to them is that as the cleat wears, there is a bit of vertical play in the cleat. So when you get up to sprint out of the saddle, say, you'll feel a bit of clunkiness and doesn't feel quite 100% secure (but it is).

I'm trying out the new Look KEO pedals at the moment.. they are a further refinement on the old Look system which you are familiar with. The cleats are slipperier to walk in than the SPD-SLs, but reading the paperwork they have a special pad specifically to minimise the vertical play on worn cleat issue. (I haven't had them long enough to see if it actually works though)

Never tried Time Impacts, so dunno how they feel or how they are to live with.

In my opinion.. if buying a new set of pedals, I wouldn't bother with the older Look system.. at least as far as Shimano SPD-SL and Look KEO are concerned, they're both much more refined pedal systems that are lighter and easier to work with.

I own the 105 pedals and they're nice pedals. These are my first clipless set so I cannot comment on other brands. The SPDs are nice and secure for me. I've had no problems clipping in or out of them. I recommend them.

nath1 said:
Iam currently using time impact pedals but as my pedals are now coming to the end of thier life I am considering changing to the 105 s as they are more cost effective; I was wondering if anybody has had expirience of these pedals and wondered if the float was similar and in general what are they like also are they similar to the look system as I have had trouble with these in the past

You'll want to look at the Time RXEs too. Same system as the impacts, but they lose 100g. Had mine a few weeks now (after using Impacts) and I'm very happy.

Cheers Nick , i have been seriously looking at the RXE , what is all the Lateral movement thing about with the RXE pedals, it is supposed to be a new feature? Do you feel that they are a better pedal than Impacts? My reason for changing is that my left pedal, which is the one i clip out of all of the time is feeling a bit loose and it feels as thought my foot is not stable , far too much movement. Was this something you ever noticed about the time pedals? Finally cool webbsite! my wife is from George in south Africa ,great cycling weather!

nath1 said:
Cheers Nick , i have been seriously looking at the RXE , what is all the Lateral movement thing about with the RXE pedals, it is supposed to be a new feature? Do you feel that they are a better pedal than Impacts? My reason for changing is that my left pedal, which is the one i clip out of all of the time is feeling a bit loose and it feels as thought my foot is not stable , far too much movement. Was this something you ever noticed about the time pedals? Finally cool webbsite! my wife is from George in south Africa ,great cycling weather!

Functionality of the RXE/RXS is the same as the impact. The impact also had the lateral movement (and all time models before that too). Try putting new cleats in first - that's usually the cause of looseness. Although I bought the RXEs because they were only a little more than buying cleats on their own.

Just purchased and futted the knew RXS pedals they are better than impact, the cleat which now has three hole like the look pedal has beeter adjustment via a larger hole at the top of the cleat , shithot!!!