Shimano 105 RD-5500-GS Long cage question

Ferris

Guest
I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)

Thanks,
Ferris

Ferris wrote:
> I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
> RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
> will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
> hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
> a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ferris

I recommend a MTB long cage RD for a 32 biggest cog, like a XT. The
'long cage' 5500 really isn't very long and if you have a triple or
even a double crank, you may have some diffuculty having enough chain
length for big-big combo w/o breaking the chain.

Ferris wrote:
> I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
> RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
> will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
> hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
> a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ferris

It may or may not work. Whether a rear derailleur clears a cog is
dependent on where the rear derailleur hanger on a bike is placed. The
rear derailleur hanger placement is sort of kind of standardized on
bike frames. But every company can put it a fraction of a millimeter
here or there. So the aforementioned rear derailleur will certainly
clear a 27 cog. And almost certainly clear a 30 cog usually. Maybe,
maybe clear a 32. Maybe. Most likely not, but maybe, clear a 34 even.
Just depends on the frame. I have a Deore rear derailleur on my
touring frame. Does not clear a 34 cog. I tried it. Clears a 32 cog
fine. Making the chain the absolute minimum to allow the big-big
combination to work may help. But the minimum chain length for a 53x32
or 52x32 may be one link different. That may be enough difference to
allow the rear derailleur to clear the 32. Maybe.

If you have not bought the rear derailleur already, might as well
choose the mountain bike versions over the 105.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ferris wrote:
> > I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
> > RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
> > will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
> > hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
> > a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ferris

> I recommend a MTB long cage RD for a 32 biggest cog, like a XT. The
> 'long cage' 5500 really isn't very long and if you have a triple or
> even a double crank, you may have some diffuculty having enough chain
> length for big-big combo w/o breaking the chain.

Hi there.

With too short a chain you would be very lucky if the chain BROKE! The
lbs put a too short chain on my steel frame Mtb and did not inform me.
I accidently shifted into the big big combo under load and the
drivetrain locked up with such force that it pulled the rear triangle
to the right. So far to the right that the outside of the right
crankarm was on the INSIDE od the right chainstay with daylight between
them. Estimated the triangle was pulled 2.5 inches to the right. I had
to lean the frame against a concrete curb and kick it to get it at the
bottom bracket to straighten it enough so I could ride it home.

Adding insult to injury the shop would not come good for the frame
damage nor did they have the tools needed to fix it. I was able to
straighten the frame to where it is at least usable.

*YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPEND ON A CHAIN BREAKING!* Make sure you *CAN*
shift into the big big combo without jamming the drive train.

Cheers from Peter

On 12 Jan 2007 16:22:29 -0800, "Sir Ridesalot"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Ferris wrote:
>> > I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
>> > RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
>> > will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
>> > hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
>> > a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ferris

>> I recommend a MTB long cage RD for a 32 biggest cog, like a XT. The
>> 'long cage' 5500 really isn't very long and if you have a triple or
>> even a double crank, you may have some diffuculty having enough chain
>> length for big-big combo w/o breaking the chain.

>Hi there.
>
>With too short a chain you would be very lucky if the chain BROKE! The
>lbs put a too short chain on my steel frame Mtb and did not inform me.
>I accidently shifted into the big big combo under load and the
>drivetrain locked up with such force that it pulled the rear triangle
>to the right. So far to the right that the outside of the right
>crankarm was on the INSIDE od the right chainstay with daylight between
>them. Estimated the triangle was pulled 2.5 inches to the right. I had
>to lean the frame against a concrete curb and kick it to get it at the
>bottom bracket to straighten it enough so I could ride it home.
>
>Adding insult to injury the shop would not come good for the frame
>damage nor did they have the tools needed to fix it. I was able to
>straighten the frame to where it is at least usable.
>
>*YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPEND ON A CHAIN BREAKING!* Make sure you *CAN*
>shift into the big big combo without jamming the drive train.
>
>Cheers from Peter

Dear Peter,

I'm startled by the idea that a rider can bend a steel rear triangle
sideways 2.5 inches by stomping on a pedal attached to a jammed chain.

Possibly other posters will help my eyebrows descend by coming forward
with similar experiences?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2007 16:22:29 -0800, "Sir Ridesalot"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> >> I recommend a MTB long cage RD for a 32 biggest cog, like a XT. The
> >> 'long cage' 5500 really isn't very long and if you have a triple or
> >> even a double crank, you may have some diffuculty having enough chain
> >> length for big-big combo w/o breaking the chain.

> >Hi there.
> >
> >With too short a chain you would be very lucky if the chain BROKE! The
> >lbs put a too short chain on my steel frame Mtb and did not inform me.
> >I accidently shifted into the big big combo under load and the
> >drivetrain locked up with such force that it pulled the rear triangle
> >to the right. So far to the right that the outside of the right
> >crankarm was on the INSIDE od the right chainstay with daylight between
> >them. Estimated the triangle was pulled 2.5 inches to the right. I had
> >to lean the frame against a concrete curb and kick it to get it at the
> >bottom bracket to straighten it enough so I could ride it home.
> >
> >Adding insult to injury the shop would not come good for the frame
> >damage nor did they have the tools needed to fix it. I was able to
> >straighten the frame to where it is at least usable.
> >
> >*YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPEND ON A CHAIN BREAKING!* Make sure you *CAN*
> >shift into the big big combo without jamming the drive train.
> >
> >Cheers from Peter

> Dear Peter,
>
> I'm startled by the idea that a rider can bend a steel rear triangle
> sideways 2.5 inches by stomping on a pedal attached to a jammed chain.
>
> Possibly other posters will help my eyebrows descend by coming forward
> with similar experiences?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Hi Carl.

I'll tell you you were not nearly as startled as I was when it
happened. You were not there. I wish I had taken a picture of it when
it happened but I had a fair distance to go and no camera. FWIW it was
a Phoenix Ditch Pig muntain bike with a cro-moly frame. It had Shimano
STX 32 spoke hubs and Velocity K-525 rims. I was riding up a hill and
had some groceries in the sadle bags. Total weight of myself and bags
was not 250 pounds. I was astounded that the triangle bent that far. I
had never heard of it happening before either.
BTW I had asked here on rec. tech. when I first got that bike how good
the wheels were.

Cheers from Peter

Ferris wrote:
> I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
> RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
> will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
> hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
> a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ferris

I'm surprised that I might be able to provide some help here. From a pdf
file I downloaded from a Shimano site there's the following specs -

Via
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service.html

http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycli...ponents/RD/SI-5TK0D_v1_m56577569830538387.pdf

Technical Service Instructions SI-5TK0D

Shimano 105 RD-5500-GS
Total capacity: 37 teeth or less
Largest sprocket: 27T
Smallest sprocket: 11T
Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T

I was looking at the same sort of situation a while back. I went with a
Deore LX when Nashbar had it on sale for $30.

The Deore LX SGS which I got has the following ratings.

Total capacity: 45 teeth or less
Largest sprocket: 34T
Smallest sprocket: 11T
Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T

For the GS model -

Total capacity: 33 teeth or less

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:51:25 GMT, MkTm <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ferris wrote:
>> I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
>> RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
>> will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
>> hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
>> a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ferris

>I'm surprised that I might be able to provide some help here. From a pdf
>file I downloaded from a Shimano site there's the following specs -
>
>Via
>http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service.html
>
>http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycli...ponents/RD/SI-5TK0D_v1_m56577569830538387.pdf
>
>Technical Service Instructions SI-5TK0D
>
>Shimano 105 RD-5500-GS
>Total capacity: 37 teeth or less
>Largest sprocket: 27T
>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>
>I was looking at the same sort of situation a while back. I went with a
>Deore LX when Nashbar had it on sale for $30.
>
>The Deore LX SGS which I got has the following ratings.
>
>Total capacity: 45 teeth or less
>Largest sprocket: 34T
>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>
>For the GS model -
>
>Total capacity: 33 teeth or less
>Largest sprocket: 34T
>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T

Thanks for the links. Not sure how I missed them. I have a Deore LX on
another bike - how do the Deore LX and the 105 compare from a
quality/durability standpoint?

Ferris wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:51:25 GMT, MkTm <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Ferris wrote:
>>
>>>I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
>>>RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
>>>will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
>>>hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
>>>a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Ferris

>>I'm surprised that I might be able to provide some help here. From a pdf
>>file I downloaded from a Shimano site there's the following specs -
>>
>>Via
>>http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service.html
>>
>>http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycli...ponents/RD/SI-5TK0D_v1_m56577569830538387.pdf
>>
>>Technical Service Instructions SI-5TK0D
>>
>>Shimano 105 RD-5500-GS
>>Total capacity: 37 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 27T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>>
>>I was looking at the same sort of situation a while back. I went with a
>>Deore LX when Nashbar had it on sale for $30.
>>
>>The Deore LX SGS which I got has the following ratings.
>>
>>Total capacity: 45 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 34T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>>
>>For the GS model -
>>
>>Total capacity: 33 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 34T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T

> Thanks for the links. Not sure how I missed them. I have a Deore LX on
> another bike - how do the Deore LX and the 105 compare from a
> quality/durability standpoint?

The same.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Ferris wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:51:25 GMT, MkTm <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Ferris wrote:
>>
>>>I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
>>>RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
>>>will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
>>>hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
>>>a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Ferris

>>I'm surprised that I might be able to provide some help here. From a pdf
>>file I downloaded from a Shimano site there's the following specs -
>>
>>Via
>>http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service.html
>>
>>http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycli...ponents/RD/SI-5TK0D_v1_m56577569830538387.pdf
>>
>>Technical Service Instructions SI-5TK0D
>>
>>Shimano 105 RD-5500-GS
>>Total capacity: 37 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 27T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>>
>>I was looking at the same sort of situation a while back. I went with a
>>Deore LX when Nashbar had it on sale for $30.
>>
>>The Deore LX SGS which I got has the following ratings.
>>
>>Total capacity: 45 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 34T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T
>>
>>For the GS model -
>>
>>Total capacity: 33 teeth or less
>>Largest sprocket: 34T
>>Smallest sprocket: 11T
>>Front chainwheel tooth difference: 22T

> Thanks for the links. Not sure how I missed them. I have a Deore LX on
> another bike - how do the Deore LX and the 105 compare from a
> quality/durability standpoint?

Sorry but I don't think I can help much beyond what I've provided. My
surprise was based on my novice status in bike tech. I have an 8-speed
cassette that was coupled to a Tiagra rear derailleur. The point I was
trying to make beside posting the links had to do with the extra long
cage of the SGS model allowing for large sized sprockets. Quality of the
various models is not something I can provide insight on.

I haven't bent a steel rear triangle, but I did seriously bend a thick
steel Lemond rear derailleur mount as if it were putty. When I tried
to straighten it, I was unable to budge that bent mount even a
millimeter by exerting all my strength with a pair of vise grips. I
was very lucky that a good Austin bike shop was able to repair it.

Rick

[email protected] wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2007 16:22:29 -0800, "Sir Ridesalot"
>>
>>With too short a chain you would be very lucky if the chain BROKE! The
>>lbs put a too short chain on my steel frame Mtb and did not inform me.
>>I accidently shifted into the big big combo under load and the
>>drivetrain locked up with such force that it pulled the rear triangle
>>to the right. So far to the right that the outside of the right
>>crankarm was on the INSIDE od the right chainstay with daylight between
>>them. Estimated the triangle was pulled 2.5 inches to the right. I had
>>to lean the frame against a concrete curb and kick it to get it at the
>>bottom bracket to straighten it enough so I could ride it home.

> I'm startled by the idea that a rider can bend a steel rear triangle
> sideways 2.5 inches by stomping on a pedal attached to a jammed chain.

Well, I've never bent it 2.5 inches, but I did manage to do about a
18 mm (based on measuring when I was bending it back). I was doing a
fast start from a stoplight and realized *something* was wrong after a
few feet.

The crappy skewer (since retired) had not enough grip and had slid
forward significantly on the drive side. The pull from the chain, plus
the road grabbing at a non-orthagonal angle on the the rear tire had
bent my chain stay out quite a bit. It also buckled the wheel, which
made me very unhappy.

> Possibly other posters will help my eyebrows descend by coming forward
> with similar experiences?

If you keep doing that, your face will freeze like that one day.

</mother>

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.

Ferris wrote:
> I searched Shimano's site and couldn't find information on the 105
> RD-5500-GS long cage - I'm wondering if anyone knows the max cog it
> will work with and the range. I have a 12-26 on my bike now and am
> hoping to swap it out with a 12-32 I have on another. (Yes, I live in
> a very hilly area...and I'm a wimp on the hills.)

I tried an ultegra 6500 triple (long cage) rear der with a 12-28
recently and it didn't like it. Then I tried an RX100 short cage which
also didn't like the 28. Then I tried a Sora short cage and it worked
fine. The Sora looks like it's simply a bit larger in most ways (i
think, i didn't measure). I don't remember if I tried it with a 30
yet.

Doug