Shimano 105 STI shifter/brakelever

JoeHudson

Aug 6, 2003
I'm looking at a used Specialized Allez Elite triple that has 105 shifters. When I took it out for a test the front locked up. I finally got it to shift to the 2nd ring, but there it locked up and I couldn't get it to go to the big ring. The rear works ok. Anybody else had that problem?

nope. going on 6 years. is it a derailleur issue or a shifter issue? need new cables perhaps? Just trying to provoke conversation.

Ive got 105 components across the board, and not a mention of problem at all. Chances are something is out of adjustment. Have a shop check it out before you buy though, just to be sure. IMO, the 105 set is one of the best all around, do everything groups out there, and a good balance of price vs quality.

napcop said:
nope. going on 6 years. is it a derailleur issue or a shifter issue? need new cables perhaps? Just trying to provoke conversation.

Not sure. The bike has less that 500 miles, and there shouldn't be anything wrong. I'm going to have it checked at a shop and will let you know.

I had a problem with my rear shifter....it stopped working and it wasn't very old.

The LBS said an internal part had worn out, but a new part couldn't be obtained (for some reason that I can't remember - maybe my model had gone out of style). Anyway, the bike mechanic said something about the internals being consistent with some other lesser quality Shimano stuff that he could get parts for, so I told him to go ahead and get them. It took weeks before it was fixed.

i've ridden my 2004 Specialized Allez Elite with 105 for just about a year now and have around 1500 miles on it and personally have had no issues at all.

having a mechanic look at it should prolly take care of it for you and i'm sure they will be able to tell whats wrong.

JoeHudson said:
I'm looking at a used Specialized Allez Elite triple that has 105 shifters. When I took it out for a test the front locked up. I finally got it to shift to the 2nd ring, but there it locked up and I couldn't get it to go to the big ring. The rear works ok. Anybody else had that problem?

With 500 miles, most likely it's a cable stretch issue on the FD. Easy adjustment. Has nothing to do with 105. Like the others, I've had no problems with the group. Badly adjusted DA sucks, too.