Shimano 105 vs ultegra

n2olowe

Feb 25, 2007
Besides price, is their a major difference between the two? Is the ultegra worth the extra cash?

Yes there is a difference and yes is it worth the price......which by bike standards is not much. Ultegra shifts faster and crisper. There is hardly any lag at all. DA is even better but the price jump is much bigger. When your trying to shift under presser.....like going up a hill.....you will really notice a difference between 105 and Ultegra.

It really depends on what type of riding you plan to do. If you are just a recreational rider, 105 will work just fine. If you are a real enthusiast and plan on a little racing, then I'm sure you would prefer the Ultegra. In any case 105 is no slouch.

n2olowe said:
Besides price, is their a major difference between the two? Is the ultegra worth the extra cash?
The differences are in the weight, speed of shifting and cost. Only you can determine the relative differences. Try each out at a LBS.

I buy the difference in weight, and won't argue the aesthetic/bing difference. But 'speed/crispness of shifting'? Huh?

n2olowe said:
Being seen using an Ultegra instead of 105 is already worth the $62 difference in price.

Also, the ultegra has different bushings (rear mech) than the 105 which I think translates to improved durability.

hd reynolds said:
Being seen using an Ultegra instead of 105 is already worth the $62 difference in price.

Also, the ultegra has different bushings (rear mech) than the 105 which I think translates to improved durability.
105 is as durable as the other two groups.

Here's a thought: 'being seen' waiting with your 105 bike at the top of a climb for your slower friends is priceless.:D

True dat!

And passing people who are on bikes that cost three times what your's did is even better...

My current bike is a mixture of Ultegra and 105 (everything but the crank is Ultegra). Everything works fine...

benkoostra said:
105 is as durable as the other two groups.
105 9spd used to come with a cheap, nasty,unsealed metal bush on the RD upper jockey wheel that would dry out, rust, squeal and wear prematurely, while Ultegra came with a "sealed" ceramic bearing at the same location. This certainly lead to a small, but very annoying, durability difference. I don't know whether Shimano have fixed this shortcoming. In addition, my 105 right brifter became progressively more "doughy" in feel with shifting, and eventually started to jam intermittently. The 9spd DuraAce brifter that I replaced it with, already second-hand when I got it, has remained crisp over a much longer period of time. This latter point may be a one-off, but I would still be reluctant to equate the durability of the groupsets.

RC2 said:
I buy the difference in weight, and won't argue the aesthetic/bing difference. But 'speed/crispness of shifting'? Huh?
I have riden DA, Ultegra and 105. IMO there is a difference in shifting speed/crispness. DA and Ultegra are close but I found a marked difference in DA/Ultegra and 105. You have to decide if it is worth the price difference.

bladegeek said:
I have riden DA, Ultegra and 105. IMO there is a difference in shifting speed/crispness. DA and Ultegra are close but I found a marked difference in DA/Ultegra and 105. You have to decide if it is worth the price difference.

I have ridden several DA, Ultegra, 106, Campy, even the lower end Shimano stuff. I have both 105 and Ultegra and seriously can't tell any difference between the two in terms of feel or responsiveness (assuming we're comparing 9 to 9, or 10 to 10). If I think I can tell a difference, I'm probably trying too hard to find it. If there is a difference, my guess is it's miniscule to the difference a proper set-up and tuning bike makes. That said, I'd still pony up a few bucks for the Ultegra over 105 because I like the looks (though as a Campy convert I'd be looking at Chorus :) ).

RC2 said:
That said, I'd still pony up a few bucks for the Ultegra over 105 because I like the looks (though as a Campy convert I'd be looking at Chorus :) ).
10spd 105 and Ultegra look VERY similar - what exactly appeals to you?

artemidorus said:
105. The Ultegra finish looks like ****.

I'm not dissing Ultegra, it is lighter than 105, but it by no means shifts better. My 105 cassette has lasted nearly 20,000km with no problems whatsoever with any other parts of the group. No serious adjustments needed, just a little turn of the barrel adjuster every month or not even that, and it sounds better with a KMC X10SL than 90% of my clubs DA bikes, and Ultegra.

Now, people that say 105 is not for racing obviouslyy haven't ridden 105 much. I have turned out undefeated in my club's crit season, with EVERYONE except me on Ultegra or DA.

So. Shut up about 105. It looks better than Ultegra, is just as if not more durable/stiff/etc than Ultegra, it may be a little heavier but that can be lost from your body after a few weeks (in most cases).

/rant

I have bikes with everything from Tiagra to DA. It all comes down to proper maintenance. You can't compare a 4 year old 105 shifter to a new DA. Most times cables and proper adjustment can dial any group in properly. 10 speed is of course going to feel crisper than 9 speed because the cable uptake is less and there is less distance for the chain to move. I'll take 105 anyday and use the spare cash for other things.

I haven't ridden 10 speed 105, but I've heard it's excellent, and so close in performance/feel to DA that most people wouldn't be able to find any discernible difference.

Of course, if 200g bothered me that much, I'd just leave my socks at home.:D

artemidorus said:
Dunno, you're right they look nearly identical... I guess just for an extra few $$ my mind says splurge on Ultegra (I would rationalize this with a resale value argument or marginal weight/aesthetic/bing difference or something like that, but as I don't typically sell my bikes that would be just rationalization). The real answer of course to your question "what exactly appeals to you?" is Chorus/Campy, which is another email thread entirely.

In reading thru this thread, I think the best answer to 'what differentiates 105 vs. ultegra' (again, assuming we're talking 10s to 10s apples-apples comparision) = Shimano marketing. In other words, if one or the other didn't exist, I don't think anyone would look at Shimano's gruppo line and see a missing niche in terms of performance/weight/etc.

n2olowe said:

105= Sport/ Enthusiast
Ultegra = Club/Racing/Elite
Dura Ace = Profesisonal grade

The differences are really in the material aspect. the functionality is the same pretty much across the board. When you look at the parts of 105 and compair them against ultegra and DA you see the amount of machined parts, ti and aluminum, and composites, increases steadily as you go up the line. This translates into lighter equipment and in the case of machined vs. forged or stamped parts, results in more precise mechanical actions.

Now, 2005/6's Ultegra is 10x better then the Dura Ace of 2000. The 105 of today is much better then the Ultegra of 2000. The equipment you buy today is incredible no matter what price point you are at.

jmocallaghan said:
105= Sport/ Enthusiast
Ultegra = Club/Racing/Elite
Dura Ace = Profesisonal grade
Its funny that the racer in me says " I would much rather sacrifice a few grams to not have to lose $200 every time I crash and break a part". Luckily crashes are not all that common but 105 and Ultegra make more sense for crits and other mass-start non-pro races.