Shimano 10spd cassette on Campy Drivetrain

Hi All,

I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
was selling
a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.

Questions?

1. is this possible?

2. if so --> any technical issues?

--
Joe

On 27 Dec 2005 09:55:24 -0800, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
>was selling
>a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.
>
>Questions?
>
>1. is this possible?
>
>2. if so --> any technical issues?

Not really, no. The spacing and overall travel are close enough for it to
work flawlessly. Campy 10s shifters & derailer with Shimano cassette or
vice versa both.

Jasper

[email protected] wrote:
> I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
> was selling
> a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.
> 1. is this possible?
> 2. if so --> any technical issues?

Whatever was intended, it's _not_ a Shimano cassette on a
Campagnolo hub. Ask the seller to clarify.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2005 09:55:24 -0800, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
> >was selling
> >a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.
> >
> >Questions?
> >
> >1. is this possible?
> >
> >2. if so --> any technical issues?

> Not really, no. The spacing and overall travel are close enough for it to
> work flawlessly. Campy 10s shifters & derailer with Shimano cassette or
> vice versa both.

For what it's worth, I have not been able to get a Campy cassette to
shift well with Shimano derauilleur. I have Ultegra 10s and have tried
with Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels and a 10s Campy Veloce level cassette, but
no matter how much I adjust the rear derailleur, some part of the
cassette does not shift well. If the lower end is aligned well, the
upper does not align well, etc. I have no other Campy wheels/cassette
to test with. Does altering the tightness of the lockring help?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
> was selling
> a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.
>
> Questions?
>
> 1. is this possible?
>
> 2. if so --> any technical issues?
>
> --
> Joe

Easy, we do this all the time. Best results with a shimano 10s chain or
one of the new Campag 5.9mm chains or the Wipperman 5.9mm chain. Works
fine w/o any modifications.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was ogling a few bikes on the web/ebay and saw a setup where someone
>was selling
>a Campy 10s with a Shimano 10s cassette.
>
>Questions?
>
>1. is this possible?
>
>2. if so --> any technical issues?

It works fine. You use a Shimano chain or the newer, narrower Campy
or Wipermann.

If the bicycle happens to have a pre 2001 rear derailleur, the
shifting not only works well but the movement of the rear derailleur
is exact for a Shimano cassette.