Shimano 2200 hubs?

andy

Guest
Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are incredibly
inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/ larger shell. I believe
they are currently in production and are 8/9 speed compatible. Looking to
build up a cheap set of training wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanx,
andy

andy-<< Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are incredibly
inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/ larger shell. I believe
they are currently in production and are 8/9 speed compatible. Looking to
build up a cheap set of training wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.

I answer-They are decent and really inexpensive hubs. Open, add some grease,
adjust well and maintain them well and they will be just fine for a long time.
They are 8/9 and 10s compatible.

>><BR><BR>

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Thanx Peter.
andy
"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> andy-<< Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are
> incredibly
> inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/ larger shell. I
> believe
> they are currently in production and are 8/9 speed compatible. Looking to
> build up a cheap set of training wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> I answer-They are decent and really inexpensive hubs. Open, add some
> grease,
> adjust well and maintain them well and they will be just fine for a long
> time.
> They are 8/9 and 10s compatible.
>

> >><BR><BR>

> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> andy-<< Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are

incredibly
> inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/ larger shell. I

believe
> they are currently in production and are 8/9 speed compatible. Looking to
> build up a cheap set of training wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> I answer-They are decent and really inexpensive hubs. Open, add some

grease,
> adjust well and maintain them well and they will be just fine for a long

time.
> They are 8/9 and 10s compatible.

Just out of curiosity, are there any bad Shimano hubs at all? I've had
really good luck with even the very low end of the line.

Peter Cole wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > andy-<< Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are

> incredibly
> > inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/ larger shell.

> believe
> > they are currently in production and are 8/9 speed compatible.

Looking to
> > build up a cheap set of training wheels. Any advice would be

appreciated.

> > I answer-They are decent and really inexpensive hubs. Open, add

some
> grease,
> > adjust well and maintain them well and they will be just fine for a

long
> time.
> > They are 8/9 and 10s compatible.

> Just out of curiosity, are there any bad Shimano hubs at all? I've

had
> really good luck with even the very low end of the line.

Agree, my "costco special", beater uses the lowest end acera/avilo 7
speed parts. For the hubs, all I did was put in grade 25 ball bearings
and new grease and go, go go....

Peter Cole wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> andy-<< Can anyone give some insight to shimano 2200 hubs? They are
>> incredibly inexpensive, look like a road model of deore hubs w/
>> larger shell. I believe they are currently in production and are 8/9
>> speed compatible. Looking to build up a cheap set of training
>> wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> I answer-They are decent and really inexpensive hubs. Open, add some
>> grease, adjust well and maintain them well and they will be just
>> fine for a long time. They are 8/9 and 10s compatible.

> Just out of curiosity, are there any bad Shimano hubs at all? I've had
> really good luck with even the very low end of the line.

The practical difference is good seals, and those have been creeping down the
line in the last few years. Nowadays even the cheap MTB hubs have better seals
than XT/XTR used to. I don't know where the sweet spot is these days, but I
imagine it's pretty close to the "bottom." Spend more money and you mostly get
better looks and a little less weight.

Matt O.

Peter asks-<< Just out of curiosity, are there any bad Shimano hubs at all?
I've had
really good >><BR><BR>

I answer-I think the only 'bad' thing is the inability to service the freehub.
Take it apart and actually clean and lube. You can take it apart but not
reommended. I think the other thing I disliked is them having only two pawls.
Otherwise great hubs tho with superior support for the axle with the freehub
bolted onto the hub body. With regular maintanance, they will last for years.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> I answer-I think the only 'bad' thing is the inability to service the
> freehub. Take it apart and actually clean and lube. You can take it
> apart but not reommended. I think the other thing I disliked is them
> having only two pawls. Otherwise great hubs tho with superior support
> for the axle with the freehub bolted onto the hub body. With regular
> maintanance, they will last for years.

As you know, they can be flushed and relubed very effectively. Taking them
apart isn't as bad as it seems either. Use grease to stick the ball bearings
on, and they go back together pretty easily. I've "blueprinted" a bunch of them
with sloppy bearings by changing the shim washers. Of course you need a supply
of the right shim washers. To me it was worth it, but not for a busy bike shop
at normal labor rates, unless you have a real patron* for a customer.

Matt O.

*One who will pay whatever it costs to make things exactly as they should be.