Shimano 3 speed hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jordan, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    I see most posts are related current bicycle technology, but maybe there're some old hands here too.

    I've given up the idea of building a ship in a bottle - the 3 speed hub is just as challenging!

    http://www.oldroads.com/shim3spd.html

    I think I've figured something out. I'm still trying to get the main mechanism out, but so far it
    won't co-operate. Further study of the exploded diagram seems to show (it's a bit grainy) that the
    "ball cup" (item 9, part no. 321 5600) is threaded into the hub proper. I've tried unscrewing it
    (both ways), and heating it (to destroy any Loctite type stuff). No go so far, and it's not helped
    by not having any thing to positively grab onto with a spanner. I'm using a Stilson/Monkey wrench.

    These things were made to be able to be dismantled, weren't they?

    Jordan

    Tags:

  2. Jordan wrote:
    > I see most posts are related current bicycle technology, but maybe there're some old hands
    > here too.
    >
    > I've given up the idea of building a ship in a bottle - the 3 speed hub is just as challenging!
    >
    > http://www.oldroads.com/shim3spd.html
    >
    > I think I've figured something out. I'm still trying to get the main mechanism out, but so far it
    > won't co-operate. Further study of the exploded diagram seems to show (it's a bit grainy) that the
    > "ball cup" (item 9, part no. 321 5600) is threaded into the hub proper. I've tried unscrewing it
    > (both ways), and heating it (to destroy any Loctite type stuff). No go so far, and it's not helped
    > by not having any thing to positively grab onto with a spanner. I'm using a Stilson/Monkey wrench.
    >
    > These things were made to be able to be dismantled, weren't they?

    Unscrew everything from the left end of the axle. The right ballcup has a regular right hand thread,
    but it is tightened by pedaling. You need a hammer and punch, and you you need to hit it pretty
    seriously to break it loose.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/english

    Sheldon "Epicyclic" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | Some of my mother's paintings may be seen at: | http://sheldonbrown.com/joyce |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    1. Remove the locknut, washer and bearing cone from the left side of the hub.

    2. Then, you can jiggle out the axle, along with the sprocket and some other parts from the right
    side. You'll have a couple of steel keys that may fall out, so do this over a large rag.

    3. Shimano used to make a tool called a "Ball Cup Remover" that fit in the splines of the ball cup,
    just like a freewheel remover. But, I doubt that this tool is available any longer.

    Turns out that the ball cup is threaded with ordinary right-hand threading, so you need to turn it
    counter-clockwise to remove. The best way if you don't have the specific tool is to find a small
    notch along the edge of the ball cup, right against the hub flange. Bang against this with a punch
    and hammer, and eventually the ball cup will unscrew. Heat is not required, but unless you way
    overheat the metal, it will do no harm. Have fun!
    - Jeff Napier www.bikewebsite.com

    > I've given up the idea of building a ship in a bottle - the 3 speed hub is just as challenging!
    >
    > http://www.oldroads.com/shim3spd.html
    >
    > I think I've figured something out. I'm still trying to get the main mechanism out, but so far it
    > won't co-operate. Further study of the exploded diagram seems to show (it's a bit grainy) that the
    > "ball cup" (item 9, part no. 321 5600) is threaded into the hub proper. I've tried unscrewing it
    > (both ways), and heating it (to destroy any Loctite type stuff). No go so far, and it's not helped
    > by not having any thing to positively grab onto with a spanner. I'm using a Stilson/Monkey wrench.
    >
    > These things were made to be able to be dismantled, weren't they?
    >
    > Jordan

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I see most posts are related current bicycle technology, but maybe there're some old hands
    > here too.
    >
    > I've given up the idea of building a ship in a bottle - the 3 speed hub is just as challenging!
    >
    > http://www.oldroads.com/shim3spd.html
    >
    > I think I've figured something out. I'm still trying to get the main mechanism out, but so far it
    > won't co-operate. Further study of the exploded diagram seems to show (it's a bit grainy) that the
    > "ball cup" (item 9, part no. 321 5600) is threaded into the hub proper. I've tried unscrewing it
    > (both ways), and heating it (to destroy any Loctite type stuff). No go so far, and it's not helped
    > by not having any thing to positively grab onto with a spanner. I'm using a Stilson/Monkey wrench.
    >
    > These things were made to be able to be dismantled, weren't they?

    Instead of heat, hold the ball cup tool in a vise and unscrew the wheel from
    it.