shimano 3 speed hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kevin, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I understand there is grease for the coaster brake and separate grease for
    the hub. Any substitutes for the official shimano grease. I'll be pulling
    apart the crank and font hub; I use Phil woods grease there. The special
    grease seems to only be at airbomb.com, so if you have a source, that's
    appreciated too.

    Tags:

  2. Kevin wrote:

    > I understand there is grease for the coaster brake and
    > separate grease for the hub. Any substitutes for the official
    > shimano grease. I'll be pulling apart the crank and font hub;
    > I use Phil woods grease there. The special grease seems to
    > only be at airbomb.com, so if you have a source, that's
    > appreciated too.

    I don't know about 3-speed hub grease, but I bought some Shimano
    Nexus internal hub grease from
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm. I used it when
    reconditioning my son's Shimano 3-speed hub (no internal
    brake).

    That's a thick black grease, almost certainly containing
    molybdenum sulphide. If I was looking for an alternative, I'd
    consider automotive CV joint grease.

    John

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Kevin wrote:

    > I understand there is grease for the coaster brake and separate grease for
    > the hub. Any substitutes for the official shimano grease. I'll be pulling
    > apart the crank and font hub; I use Phil woods grease there. The special
    > grease seems to only be at airbomb.com, so if you have a source, that's
    > appreciated too.

    Your Phil grease is fine for the end bearings/seals and the
    brake mechanism. Shoot in a couple CC of machine oil just
    before you close the hub

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Web trawling left me with Lithium high pressure grease for the hub, moly
    based for the brakes, and most anything (Phil's for example) for the
    bearings and seals. shimano has not responded, but it might take a phone
    call.

    Unrelated to this thread, a $5000 Swiss Army Bicycle? So it must be a steal
    for $3500 if Lick Bike still has their advertised offering. Makes my
    Worksman seem light. Thanks

    news:[email protected]