Shimano 300EX, years of manufacture?

62vette

Nov 18, 2003
Te Ika a Maui
Hi,

Having spent the last two days riding my new GT ZR 1.0, I need to sell my old bike, and I need a little help dating it before advertising it for sale.

I bought it second hand and the previous owner was not entirely certain how old it was.

It has a CrMo frame, and had a full Shimano 300EX group set when I purchased it . Tee group set had downtube indexed shifters. The rear cassette is seven speed. I've changed the shifters for RSX STI levers to make it more rideable.

Does anyone have any ideas when the 300EX group set was going on to new bikes?

My thoughts are that it is probably circa 1994, but any clues that anyone could offer would be helpful.

Cheers,
Lindsay

Originally posted by 62vette
Hi,

Having spent the last two days riding my new GT ZR 1.0, I need to sell my old bike, and I need a little help dating it before advertising it for sale.

I bought it second hand and the previous owner was not entirely certain how old it was.

It has a CrMo frame, and had a full Shimano 300EX group set when I purchased it . Tee group set had downtube indexed shifters. The rear cassette is seven speed. I've changed the shifters for RSX STI levers to make it more rideable.

My thoughts are that it is probably circa 1994, but any clues that anyone could offer would be helpful.

Cheers,
Lindsay

Use this link.

http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/Gruppen.html

I hope you find there all you need.

BR

froque

Originally posted by 62vette
Hi,

Cheers,
Lindsay
300ex was around for years. Could be late 80s, early 90s . Otherwise get the serial # off the frame and try checking with the maker.