Shimano 540 wheelset - worth the upgrade?

thebow

Sep 28, 2003
Hi,

I have decided to purchase a new bike and one of the options around is an upgrade from Alex RL-2002 double wall CNC alloy rims to Shimano 540 for $200 AUS.

Is this a good deal? I am getting back into it from so will I even notice the diff these wheels make?

I am planning on keeping the bike long term so I am most likely going to spend the extra $$ but would like to know what the real differences are.

Pro's and Cons anyone?

My concern would be the rider weight. The R540s might not hold up to serious hammering. I looked at them, but ended up going with Ksyrium Elites for the robustness (I am 190 lbs). You may want to consider going with the original wheelset and saving up for an even better upgrade later on.

Originally posted by capwater
My concern would be the rider weight. The R540s might not hold up to serious hammering. I looked at them, but ended up going with Ksyrium Elites for the robustness (I am 190 lbs). You may want to consider going with the original wheelset and saving up for an even better upgrade later on.

Cool, I had wondered what the compromise might be with the weight saving. I am about 82kg/180lbs so do you think this would be too heavy for day to day use on these?

If they are going to get buggered during day to day use then I guess I'll save my $$$.

Originally posted by thebow
Hi,

I have decided to purchase a new bike and one of the options around is an upgrade from Alex RL-2002 double wall CNC alloy rims to Shimano 540 for $200 AUS.

Is this a good deal? I am getting back into it from so will I even notice the diff these wheels make?

I am planning on keeping the bike long term so I am most likely going to spend the extra $$ but would like to know what the real differences are.

Pro's and Cons anyone?

When I last bought a bike I was told that if it would be best to get a set of sturdy, standard wheels. They would prove to be more robust and reliable on long/training rides. The newer wheel types would be lighter, faster etc. but if you broke a spoke 100Km into a ride, chances are that you might not be able to make it back.

Having said, that I have a pair of Campy Eurus for racing and they feel (and handle) like velvet after a week on the 32 hole training hoops.

Regards Nick

My training wheels look like c**p in front of the coffee shop! Don't know what the Eurus would look like as I never takem there :)

I have the 540s and weigh 75kg without problem so far(desperately searching for wood to knock on...).

These rims came standard on the Avanti bike I bought about 4 months ago. I weigh about 110kgs and have so far done about 1700km on them without any problems, i.e. they are still true. I have only done road riding, but having said that I've certainly hit a few nice holes in the road!

Maybe not worth the extra $$ but they do look pretty good......

I've had the 540's on my bike for 2K miles and I weigh 90 kilos and have absolutely no problems with the rims and I have had them on some pretty bad roads. You concerns were the same as mine when I bought them but not anymore. Go for it !

Originally posted by frieders3
I've had the 540's on my bike for 2K miles and I weigh 90 kilos and have absolutely no problems with the rims and I have had them on some pretty bad roads. You concerns were the same as mine when I bought them but not anymore. Go for it !

Great, I was actually considering the next step up 105->ultegra which has them as standard anyway.

Thanks for the advice

capwater said:
I agree with CAPWATER. I own R540s, I'm 190 lbs, commute about 200 miles per week to work. The new rear R540 rim lasted about 5 months until spoke broke. I replaced it and trued it to spec, then 3 months later, a different spoke broke. I don't torque (pedal) hard on the cranks and try to maintain even cadence during the commutes. Weekends I'm in the hills and work the rim pretty good. I'd be hesitant to buying the R540s. I'm sending my R540s in for warranty and will give them on final chance. My bets are I'll probably have the same problem, but I'll wait-n-see. Later, -s

My 540's eventually got bad enough where I just dumped them and bought some Kysirium wheels. Broken spokes are nothing to mess with when you only have 16 to start with. I would hope Shimano has stopped producing tehse or at least put a disclaimer on them for 200 lb people!

frieders3 said:
My 540's eventually got bad enough where I just dumped them and bought some Kysirium wheels. Broken spokes are nothing to mess with when you only have 16 to start with. I would hope Shimano has stopped producing tehse or at least put a disclaimer on them for 200 lb people!

I´ve had a runin with the first of Shimano´s "new" concept wheels the 535 (predessor to 540) and they were flexy pieces of spaghetti. Although yes they did look good and most importantly were very easy to clean compared to a 32 spoke wheel. But that´s about all the nice things I can say about it.

I got a Roubaix Pro last fall with the Ultegra/540 setup and have been pretty pleased with them. That has been a nice combination for me for about 2,500 miles now. They have been pretty bullet proof, even on some really rough roads. And in terms of ride, they are very forgiving. They are heavy compared to a lot of racing wheels though. You can definitely feel the 540's flex, especially when you are cornering at speed. That may take some getting used to.

frieders3 said:
I totally hear you. I'm hesitant to use them on the DeathRide up in Tahoe this year. I'm gonna talk to Shimano at the Sea Otter Classic...in addition to the questionable reliability of the R540s, their XTR mtn bike drivetrain can't be used with other manufacturers and they price their stuff high compared to like a Race Face. cya -s

I was over 120kg when I started riding with 540s. 3000+ Km and -16kg later and they're still going strong.

thebow said:
Hi,

Pro's and Cons anyone?
I have a set of 540's. Half way through the first season with them, I ended up buying Ksyrium Elites. It was a huge upgrade since they are lighter, noticeably stiffer and 2 years later I still haven't broken a spoke (I've broken 4 spokes on the 540's in limited use). My advise is to save your money. 540's are not what I would consider a quality wheelset.
:cool:

I've been riding the Ksyrium Elites for about 4 months now (had the Shimano 540s) and have logged about 4000 miles on 'em. They have held up perfectly, no problems...I'm very happy (Steve - 182 lbs)

These wheels tend to flex a lot whilst sprinting etc etc.....but stay true for god knows how long even after a hard beating.

topcat said:
These wheels tend to flex a lot whilst sprinting etc etc.....but stay true for god knows how long even after a hard beating.
Was just doing a search on this forum and came up with this thread.

I am thinking of getting a new wheelset, I weigh about 95kg (sighs ...). Are the Shimano 500 set suitable for me? They have got more spokes than the 550 ...

Anyone care to recommend a sturdy set of wheels?

topcat said:
Whats a good wheelset for a heavy person? (ie me 95Kgs)

Are the Shimano R500 suitable?

I am 210lbs, and my riding partner is 205lbs... HE had a set of ALex DA-16s, I had a set of Shimano WH-R550s.

WE rode together several 100 miles before...

HE threw his rear rim out of true on a rough road; and he later got a flat spot on his rear rim which inspired him to replace his wheelset.

I rode on my Shimanos until I replaced them out of want... not need.

Alex rims are okay, Shimano are better.... neither are the best; do some research and you will find what you want/like best. I did ;)