Shimano 550 cones broken on front

vyaw2003

Apr 16, 2007
Hello,
I have done 2,600 km's on my Giant in Australia, with 25 breakdowns so far. The latest on is a broken front cone in my Shimano r550 rim.
I saw a post here discussing the quality of them and broken spokes. This post is not for that, i already have the rims and am stuck with them.
I want to know if this sort of thing is covered under the giant warranty. The bike is just under 1 year old.
TXS

Yes it is covered. However, what model Giant is the bike, how heavy are you and what gear do you carry?

gclark8 said:
Yes it is covered. However, what model Giant is the bike, how heavy are you and what gear do you carry?
ocr1- 55.5cm i weght 62.5kg, usually a backpack, not too heavy just a shirt and pants and my lunch usually.
I would have thought that my size frame would be able to hold 75kg people easily. I am at the lighter end of the height

vyaw2003 said:
ocr1- 55.5cm i weght 62.5kg, usually a backpack, not too heavy just a shirt and pants and my lunch usually.
I would have thought that my size frame would be able to hold 75kg people easily. I am at the lighter end of the height
Your bike should be able to hold 75Kg and a LOT more as well with no probs whatsoever. I have nearly 5000Ks on my 05 Giant TRC and have had zip-zero-zilch problems (I'm 81Kgs).
In particular the Shimano 550's are as true today as they were on that rainy day in April when I bought the bike. They are super value for money.

OK, the weight is OK. ;)

I wonder if the front QR Skewer has been over tightened? Which LBS do you use. :rolleyes:

What were some of the other problems?

gclark8 said:
OK, the weight is OK. ;)

I wonder if the front QR Skewer has been over tightened? Which LBS do you use. :rolleyes:

What were some of the other problems?
I dont know what you mean? do you mean the quick release at the front done up too tight?

Other problems,
creaky headset (6 goes to fix this)
Creaky noise coming from near the pedals (front derailer area) (14 attempts and it is still not fixed)
they replaced the following trying to fix it:
arms that the pedals go on,
pedals,
aluniminum screws that screw the chain rings on,
bearings,
frame, (they thought it may have been the join in the alimium to carbon triangle)
re-greased,
something inside the crank- i dont know what.
cables,

Yeah Giant really rocks!!
If they gave me a store credit, i would NEVER get another Giant, but i am stuck with this thing they cant fix.
I have suggested it is the chain or chain rings, but currently they are saying there is a blue washer/spacer that my crank didnt come with in between models so they are going to try one of them.

vyaw2003 said:
I dont know what you mean? do you mean the quick release at the front done up too tight?
Yes, that can damage bearings.

I had a friend with a very noisy RH crank, it turned out to be his shoe rubbing on the crank arm. Another had a tic-tic-tic-tic each time the crank went around, that was the tail of the FD cable hitting his shoe and flicking against the crank arm.

george those issues are not my problem. Dont even need shoes, just pressing the pedal down hard with my hand, not moving, with brakes on and i still get the noise. so frustrating, each time the mechanic says he knows what it it, and each time he does something different it seems to work for 80kms then the noise is back !!!!:mad:

vyaw2003 said:
george those issues are not my problem. Dont even need shoes, just pressing the pedal down hard with my hand, not moving, with brakes on and i still get the noise. so frustrating, each time the mechanic says he knows what it it, and each time he does something different it seems to work for 80kms then the noise is back !!!!:mad:
quick release i alway did it up as tight as was possbile, is this 2 tight? is there a rule go as tight as you can and then loosen off 2 turns??

You do know that Giant does not sell the bike to the shops fully assembled? It is more likely the creaking is a result of the assembly quality of the LBS.

FWIW, I am much heavier and have had no issues with my OCR comp.

But reading through your comprehensive list of creaks, and attempted fixes, just sounds like you have some mysterious creak happening there. One common source of creaks is from the saddle, seatpost area. Has that been checked over?

Hope things work out for you.

vyaw2003 said:

Other problems,
creaky headset (6 goes to fix this)
Creaky noise coming from near the pedals (front derailer area) (14 attempts and it is still not fixed)
they replaced the following trying to fix it:
arms that the pedals go on,
pedals,
aluniminum screws that screw the chain rings on,
bearings,
frame, (they thought it may have been the join in the alimium to carbon triangle)
re-greased,
something inside the crank- i dont know what.
cables,

Yeah Giant really rocks!!
If they gave me a store credit, i would NEVER get another Giant, but i am stuck with this thing they cant fix.
I have suggested it is the chain or chain rings, but currently they are saying there is a blue washer/spacer that my crank didnt come with in between models so they are going to try one of them.

This kind of thing is not typical of Giants, which tend to be well-finished. As another poster has stated, it is just as likely to relate to the assembly and the possible ongoing ineptitude of the LBS staff. Don't forget seat, seat clamp and seatpost clamp, which can all create creaks that sound like they are coming from the BB.

I got beaten to it. This is a **** assembly job. First of all, most stock bikes use steel chainring bolts (AFAIK. DA cranks use alloy, as well as a couple of other high end cranks). The BB should have been re-adjusted properly during assembly. The seatpost should have been dynamic assembly compounded or greased, depending on whether its a carbon post. Normally the craking comes from the seat rails, as mentioned, but we get torrents of 'my bb is creaking' and the problem is whoever adjusted the seat previously didn't do the bolt(s) on the seatpost up to torque spec. Otherwise, try dripping a single drop of lube into the seat rail junctions. It'll take 1/2 hour but it should go away.

Creaky headset can be the cable ends, where they seat in the stops. Tryr lubricating these. Otherwise, the rubber lip seals usually squeak when new and can take a drop of lube to stop 'em squeaking, but once they are worn in they don't squeak.

Broken front cone could be manufacturing defect, but could also be they tightened the locknut onto the cone wayyyy tighter than they needed to, I have seen BMX riders with cracked locknuts (rare, but it happens when they try and tighten it as far as they can)

If it's not cracked, could you please elaborate.

vyaw2003 said:
creaky headset

Creaky noise coming from near the pedals
Its one of those adjustable head sets isn't it? Your options are;
1. lubricrate it
2. Replace it with a non adjustable one
3. Ignore the noise, its harmless.

The creaky noise coming from near the pedals is probably the covers rubbing on the bottom bracket. Your options are;
1. lubricate it
2. Ignore the noise, its harmless and will dissapear over time as the cover wears a little.

So no noise from where the carbon seat post meets the frame?

>The creaky noise coming from near the pedals is probably the covers rubbing >on the bottom bracket.
Where is this? Can i have more information?

It is nothing to do with the seat as i was standing on the ground pressing the peadl with my hand and it still makes the noise.

vyaw2003 said:
>The creaky noise coming from near the pedals is probably the covers rubbing >on the bottom bracket.
Where is this? Can i have more information?

It is nothing to do with the seat as i was standing on the ground pressing the peadl with my hand and it still makes the noise.
Was your bike leaning against the wall when you were doing that?

Also I'd be interested to learn more about the damage on your cones, and what it was caused by.

BTW have your checked that the creaks are not from your handlebars? It could be the bars are not tightened down properly.

Was your bike leaning against the wall when you were doing that? nope 2 guys were holding it.

Also I'd be interested to learn more about the damage on your cones, and what it was caused by. will find out when i pick it up.

BTW have your checked that the creaks are not from your handlebars? It could be the bars are not tightened down properly. they have fixed the noise in the handle bars.

They say that the bottom bracket (piece that goes through the frame) is worn from wear and tear and that i have to pay for a new one $150.
I said BS it was like that from day one. anyway will see when i pick it up.

vyaw2003 said:
Was your bike leaning against the wall when you were doing that? nope 2 guys were holding it.

Also I'd be interested to learn more about the damage on your cones, and what it was caused by. will find out when i pick it up.

BTW have your checked that the creaks are not from your handlebars? It could be the bars are not tightened down properly. they have fixed the noise in the handle bars.

They say that the bottom bracket (piece that goes through the frame) is worn from wear and tear and that i have to pay for a new one $150.

It's highly unlikely that a BB could wear out in 2,600km, unless rain and mud are your thang. Contest that - make sure that you examine it yourself.

Spray a bit of oil in around the bottom bracket and see if the noise goes away for a while. I had exactly the same problem and it was just cosmetic.

vyaw2003 said:
A new bottom bracket for $150! Sounds like you should go to another shop if you can. BB dont wear out after just 2600km.

thomas_cho said:
A new bottom bracket for $150! Sounds like you should go to another shop if you can. BB dont wear out after just 2600km.
My OCR2 has done 25,000k and still has the origional BB. Its those covers, sorry I don't know the correct name.