Shimano 600 "Arabesque" group info

Kirk Van Deraa

Guest
I just picked up a bike with this group on it, and it looks pretty interesting with lots of engraved
swirls, etc. Shifting is pure friction. I seem to recall reading that this was one of the the first
assembled "neo pro" groups (i.e. not intended for Pro riders) and that started a trend.

Anybody have information on this stuff?

Thanks

Kirk

Kirk Van Deraa <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just picked up a bike with this group on it, and it looks pretty interesting with lots of
> engraved swirls, etc. Shifting is pure friction. I seem to recall reading that this was one of the
> the first assembled "neo pro" groups (i.e. not intended for Pro riders) and that started a trend.
>
> Anybody have information on this stuff?

My Old (1981) Motobecane Grand Record came with this group. Inexpensive, functional stuff, but
nothing to write home about. The "600" group eventually evolved into Ultegra (with a detour through
Sante). I remember the headset had a weird nut that required a special tool.

Actually, I think it was called 600EX. It came with a cassette instead of a freewheel (which was
pretty novel at the time). The chainrings were marked "W" cut which was supposed to enhance
shifting. I wouldn't say it was the first "neo pro" group, since Campagnolo had their Gran Sport
group out at about the same time.

Art Harris