Shimano 600 (Brake) Install...

Bio27x

Jun 18, 2003
HELP!

I'm a MTB'er building up my first roadbike (singlespeed!). I recently found an old 1980's era frame with horizontal dropouts... which is PERFECT. However, I'm having some issues getting the thing running brakes. It's currently running wolber 700 rims.

When I went and bought a set of used shimano 600 brakes figuring that they would replace the dia-compe n500's (?) that were on (front only). The Shimano 600's fail to fully engage the rims. About half of the brake pad is on the rim, and the other half is protruding above, into the area where the tire would be...

Is there some sort of spacer that would move the brake body lower... or a different set of pads? I've never played with road parts.... ahhhhhhhhhh

(and yes, the pads are moved all the way down in the brake arms...)

Thanks!

I almost think the rims aren't 700's... but they have 700 printed on them... so bleeeeech.

ciao!

I think really old frames used different spacing on the brakes... the modern ones seem to be lower profile. So you might need to hunt around for old brake calipers to match the frame.

You need long-reach brakes. Most newer frames are designed with tight spacing, and have a brake reach of 39 to 49 mm; older "classic" frames, which often were designed to use larger tires, fenders, etc, use long-reach brakes - ie., 47 to 59 mm. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of long-reach brakes out there. Shimano does make a pair of modern, dual pivot brakes in long-reach - they are Ultegra quality, cost about $39.95 each. Look at www.nashbar.com - they carry them. With the older, single-pivot short reach brakes, you used to be able to get a "drop-bolt". This replaces the standard pivot bolt, and drops the caliper lower, closer to the rim, so the short reach brake fits. May not be available for Shimano 600's. I have seen a drop-bolt for newer dual pivot brakes, but they are rare.

You may have another problem if your brakes are newer, in that most rear brakes have a very short bolt, as rear brake bridges almost all use recessed bolts - older frames didn't. This problem can be solved by using TWO front brakes - the bolt is longer.

Other web sites to check for equipment useful for vintage road bikes - www.harriscyclery.com, www.rivendell.com. Good luck.

You need to buy some long reach brakes. Call any shop and they should be able to help you.

You simply have what is called a touring frame and the brake bridge was installed higher for bigger tire and space for fenders and racks.

More likely, it's a frame made for 27" wheels and he's using 700C rims. Long reach will work but will reduce your braking power; check Sheldon Brown's site for simple DIY 'drop bolt' instructions.

Originally posted by Bio27x
HELP!

I'm a MTB'er building up my first roadbike (singlespeed!). I recently found an old 1980's era frame with horizontal dropouts... which is PERFECT. However, I'm having some issues getting the thing running brakes. It's currently running wolber 700 rims.

When I went and bought a set of used shimano 600 brakes figuring that they would replace the dia-compe n500's (?) that were on (front only). The Shimano 600's fail to fully engage the rims. About half of the brake pad is on the rim, and the other half is protruding above, into the area where the tire would be...

Is there some sort of spacer that would move the brake body lower... or a different set of pads? I've never played with road parts.... ahhhhhhhhhh

(and yes, the pads are moved all the way down in the brake arms...)

Thanks!

I almost think the rims aren't 700's... but they have 700 printed on them... so bleeeeech.

ciao!
Actually people, what he probably is standard reach. The shimanos 600 and other current road stuff is short reach,then there is standard reach and then long reach. Approximate reach values are short: 39-49, standard: 47-57 and long: 61-78 Longs as everyone seems to 'think' he needs, could be too much of a good thing. Reach is typically marked on the back of the calipers, but if it isn't, it's easy enough to measure, and then decide how much more might be needed. And ya need to pay attention to mounting type, nutted or recessed.

[lang=da]Hej

Jeg håber du har fået løst dit problem, og at du i processen har gjort dig nogle erfaringer der kan hjælpe mig.

Jeg vil gerne afmontere et sæt Shimano 600 bremser, men hvor der normalt inde i bremsen sidder en umbracoskrue sidder der en møtrik. Mit spørgsmål er ganske simpelt: Hvilket værktøj skal man bruge til at få fat i møtrikken på den trange plads og hvor kan man købe det?

Mvh

Martin[/lang]

mio said:
[lang=da]Jeg vil gerne afmontere et sæt Shimano 600 bremser, men hvor der normalt inde i bremsen sidder en umbracoskrue sidder der en møtrik. Mit spørgsmål er ganske simpelt: Hvilket værktøj skal man bruge til at få fat i møtrikken på den trange plads og hvor kan man købe det?

[/lang]
5mm ALLEN (aka "hex") Wrench.

cyberlegend1994 said:
I would think they would have by now, this thread is almost 6 years old.... :eek:
At least they searched the forum rather than starting a new thread:).

The simple solution is not to use shimano and use campag instead, it's not rocket science.