Shimano 600 shifter compatibility

JeremyLaBarge3

Oct 29, 2004
I recently bought an older Trek 5000 and it has some Shimano 600 shifters on it. It also came with a full 600 drive train. It is there that my problem lies there is a 600 double in the front and a 600 (12-19) 8 speed in the rear, making hills quite difficult for me. I was wondering if I were to go to an ultegra 9 or 10 rear cassette would my shifters be able to handle the new gears?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeremy

JeremyLaBarge3 said:
I recently bought an older Trek 5000 and it has some Shimano 600 shifters on it. It also came with a full 600 drive train. It is there that my problem lies there is a 600 double in the front and a 600 (12-19) 8 speed in the rear, making hills quite difficult for me. I was wondering if I were to go to an ultegra 9 or 10 rear cassette would my shifters be able to handle the new gears?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeremy
Your shifters are designed to shift a 8s cog. 9s cogs have a narrower spacing. Try looking at Sora (8s) or some mountain cassettes (also 8s) that may fit your bill.

JeremyLaBarge3 said:

Thanks for any advice,
Jeremy
Shifters no workee. If your small front ring is a 42 you can change it to a 39 or 38. There are 8 speed cassettes available with up to 30 tooth big cogs that your RD will handle.

JeremyLaBarge3 said:
I have 600 hubs, and was wondering if there would be any problems when using MTB cassettes?

Jeremy
With one with an 11 first cog you may need a 1mm spacer on the hub body brfore the cassette. Your RD may not handle more than a 30 tooth,and the B tension screw will need to be adjusted.