shimano 600 STI - 8 speed; will it work?

Andrew Behm

Guest
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s at a
local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7 speeds; but
EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to notice the
difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter? I don't know enough about it
to know what to buy. Right now i have 105 downtube shifters; a dura ace
front and a 105 rear. I also have an ultegra rear that I also bought used
and it didn't seem to be compatable with my setup. I was under the
assumption that most shimano equipment was compatable; except for some older
DA stuff. If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it. If you need model
numbers I can get them.

Oh i'm also considering replacing my 105 cranks with some DA FC-7510s I saw
at the same place for $50. Does that sound like a good idea/deal? hah.

Thanks,

Andrew Behm

Andrew Behm wrote:

> I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s at a
> local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
> they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7 speeds; but
> EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to notice the
> difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter?

8-speed shifters generally can be made to work OK with 7-speed clusters.

Note that the 8-speed 600/Ultegra units will not work with a triple
crankset.

Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown
| Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog |
| and order on line: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Andrew Behm wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s at
> a local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
> they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7 speeds;
> but EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to
> notice the difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter? I don't know
> enough about it to know what to buy. Right now i have 105 downtube
> shifters; a dura ace front and a 105 rear. I also have an ultegra rear
> that I also bought used and it didn't seem to be compatable with my
> setup. I was under the assumption that most shimano equipment was
> compatable; except for some older DA stuff. If anyone can help i'd
> really appreciate it. If you need model numbers I can get them.
> Oh i'm also considering replacing my 105 cranks with some DA FC-7510s
> I saw at the same place for $50. Does that sound like a good
> idea/deal? hah.
> Thanks,
> Andrew Behm
> http://www.newsfeeds.com/http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup
> Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
> Servers! =-----

7 speed Shimano spacing is 5.0 mm center to center. 8 speed Shimano
spacing is 4.8 mm center to center. You can set the derailer stops and
adjust the cable to shift close enough to make most chains happy with
the proposed combinations, but it may be fussy. The FC-7510 crank the
you quote must either be a typo or a unit that I have never seen or
heard of. The FC-7410 is a very nice DURA ACE crank; liking a 103 mm
Bottom Bracket. You may be spending smaller increments of cash to
upgrade, but you need to consider what the frame is worth that you are
hanging all this stuff on.

> Andrew Behm wrote:
>
> > I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s at

> > local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
> > they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7 speeds;

but
> > EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to notice

the
> > difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter?

> 8-speed shifters generally can be made to work OK with 7-speed clusters.

OK so it's not the greatest? I'll keep looking in that case.
Thanks-

andrew

daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andrew Behm wrote:
> ... Oh i'm also considering replacing my 105 cranks with some DA FC-7510s
> > I saw at the same place for $50. Does that sound like a good
> > idea/deal? hah.

If they are indeed the FC-7410 cranks, the best tapered cranks/BB ever
made, for $50, it is a ****ING steal! Buy them used at that price and
it is still a great price.

$50 for the 600 STI is an excellent price if new.

"Andrew Behm" <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Andrew Behm wrote:
> >
> > > I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s

at
> > > local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
> > > they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7

speeds;
> but
> > > EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to notice

> the
> > > difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter?

> > 8-speed shifters generally can be made to work OK with 7-speed clusters.

> OK so it's not the greatest? I'll keep looking in that case.
> Thanks-
>
> andrew
>

> > Note that the 8-speed 600/Ultegra units will not work with a triple
> > crankset.
> >
> > Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown
> > +-------------------------------------------------+
> > | Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog |
> > | and order on line: |
> > | http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
> > +-------------------------------------------------+
> > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> > http://harriscyclery.com
> > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

It works pretty darn good IMO.
I use 8-speed indexed bar-end shifters on my zero-dish 7-speed touring bike.
I just lock out the bottom (smallest-cog) shift.
I've missed maybe a couple shifts over many years, and many many miles...
For $50, I'd sure go that route!

-pete

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew Behm <commandrew(at)bendcable.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm considering upgrading my shifters to STI and I saw a pair of 600s at a
>local shop here for $50 with cables. The problem I see though is that
>they're 8 speed and my bike has a 7 ring spocket. That's only 7 speeds; but
>EIGHT speed shifters. Thanks to my superior wit, I was able to notice the
>difference right away. ALAS. Does that matter?

Only a little. If you have a nice clean cable and the derailleur pivots
are still tight, it should shift pretty well.

> I don't know enough about it
>to know what to buy. Right now i have 105 downtube shifters; a dura ace
>front and a 105 rear. I also have an ultegra rear that I also bought used
>and it didn't seem to be compatable with my setup.

If it's Ultegra then it should be OK with any 105 shifter.

> I was under the
>assumption that most shimano equipment was compatable; except for some older
>DA stuff. If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it. If you need model
>numbers I can get them.
>
>Oh i'm also considering replacing my 105 cranks with some DA FC-7510s I saw
>at the same place for $50. Does that sound like a good idea/deal? hah.

It's your money. I'd save it for things that matter more.

One thing you should know about old STI levers is that they often
fail when they get high mileage.

--Paul