Shimano 600 to "upgrade" new bike?

FriarTuck

Jul 21, 2007
Hi guys,

I crashed my roadie (80's model custom steel frame with all Shimano 600 components) this summer and bent the frame. I just received the check for a new bike from the insurance company of the driver that hit me in the crash, found a great deal on a nice Trek 1500, and bought it. I really like the new bike so far, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to swap some of the components on the new bike with some my old components, which are still in good shape.
I doubt it makes sense to switch any of the new 105s with the old 600s. I'm guessing that even though the 20+ year old 600s are technically a higher gruppo, they will not be superior to brand new 105s?
But I am thinking about switching out some of the other components, specifically the breaks and tires, that come on the bike. Do you think the old 600 breaks with new pads will be better than the new stock cane creeks? The 600s are quite a bit fatter, but it looks like they should fit. Also, does anyone have experience between Bontrager Select tires (700x25) on the new bike versus Continental Ultra Sports (700x23) on the old bike (bought those tires new just before I crashed). I haven't read much good stuff about the stock tires on my new Trek in reviews online, but I'm not sure if my old ones are any better.
Otherwise, if someone is interested in a Shimano 600 set, let me know. I will probably be selling what I can't use. Rear wheel (Mavic) and hub (Shimano) are still in good shape too and recently restored. Front wheelset is bent though.

Thanks for your responses.

You are correct in your assumption that 20 year old 600 components are not as technically advanced as current 105 equipment. If these were two or three year old Ultegra components (formerly Shimano 600), would say go for it, but not with 20 year old components. Of course, there will be a lot of restorers out there who will be interested in your components. I might change out the brakes though, as long as the 600 brakes are dual pivot. I have several examples of single and dual pivot 600 brakes and the dual pivot 600s are as good as my three year old 105s. I have never seen Cane Creek brakes so I really cannot comment on them. They may be superior to Shimano for all I know.

I can tell you that the Bontrager Tires are nice tires. Ride them till they wear out, which won't be all that far, and then change to your Continentals. However, if you are me, you'll change back to Bontragers. Things are expensive but IMHO they ride nice.

For sentimental reasons I'm in same situation. I have a 1983 road bicycle with Shimano 600 front and rear derallieur and shifter. All those years I think that other components of bike not have same "quality", so I'm building a new bike with aluminium frame annd fork in order to use my Shimano 600 parts. Only derallieur, shifters, and handlebar will pass to new bike. I'm thinking in building a conmuter with remainders of old bike....

:D