Shimano 600/Ultegra?

turkeytickler

Mar 23, 2003
Hi there

Ive just bought a second hand bike with lots on Shimano 600 on it (apart from a 105 rear mech).

Can someone tell me a little about this groupset? Is it the predecessor to Ultegra? Is it still current/compatible with Ultegra components etc?

The kit on there is getting a little long in the tooth - d/bar shifters etc and quite well worn components.

I want to replace the rear mech, chain, cassette, brakes and shifters at some point (prob to STI).

Is Ultegra the logical replacement?

Shimano's 600 series "became" Ultegra...the numerical "600" designation is still used by them to ID Ultegra components. However, since your group is pre-STI , it would probably be better to go with Tiagra or 105 as a replacement, since you would be pretty much replacing 70% of the group.

The difference between 105 and Ultegra is very slight, IMO. So, instead of getting just an Ultegra driveline, you could probably get the entire 105 group for the same price or for slightly more. I think 105 is the best bang-for-the-buck group, performance-wise, around.

Another option is to go with Tiagra. It is the next group down from 105 and has 9-speed gearing and shifters. It is heavier and does not have the flashy finish of 105, but it will do fine for strict "recreational" riding.

Of course, if you do have the cash, and are planning on restoring the frame to like-new status, Ultegra looks great (and works even better) on a "brand-new" frame!

Just my .03 cents worth...Good Luck! :D

yeah I think you are probably right.

I had 105 on my old bike and loved it. Im just coming back into riding from a 10 year break so im a bit out of touch.....when i was last riding STI was only available on DA and cost about 600GBP!! its all very accessible now....

I took my new (s/hand) bike out for its first ride today and was quite dissappointed with the braking performance (these S600 brakes are pre dual pivot) and not up to the performance I was used to with my 105 bike of 10 years ago so I guess I can get equal if not better performance alround just by sticking with 105.

I would be tempted by tiagra but the paintjob on the 105 is too irresistable :)

thanks for the advice

You're welcome.

I'm in a similar situation...I'm always looking out for a "classic" Italian steel frame to restore. Then, I want to turn it into a fixed-gear bike to just ride around and spin on.

There's something "beautiful" about a classic Italian, lugged-steel frame, you know? :D

Cheers!