Shimano 600

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Steven Smith, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Steven Smith

    Steven Smith Guest

    Hi, I collect old balloon bicycle, mostly Schwinn's from the 1930 to
    1960. I just pick up a Schwinn Paramount that I think is from the early
    90's. I also can across a new set of wheels that have never been on a
    bike. I have a couple of questions I need answered. The Paramount has
    Shimano 500 brakes and deraillers, and the rims have Shimano 600 hubs.
    What my question is, what are those parts equal to today? Are they
    Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Thanks, Steve

  2. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Shimano 600 is ultegra as far as I recall, 500 is 105, 400 is tigara, 300 is
    sora.

    "Steven Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I collect old balloon bicycle, mostly Schwinn's from the 1930 to
    > 1960. I just pick up a Schwinn Paramount that I think is from the early
    > 90's. I also can across a new set of wheels that have never been on a
    > bike. I have a couple of questions I need answered. The Paramount has
    > Shimano 500 brakes and deraillers, and the rims have Shimano 600 hubs.
    > What my question is, what are those parts equal to today? Are they
    > Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Thanks, Steve
    >

    > --

  3. "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Shimano 600 is ultegra as far as I recall,

    More or less, though it's getting hard to make these comparisons as Ultegra
    develops. IMO current Ultegra is a far better group that the last couple of
    versions of 600.

    >500 is 105,

    If memory serves there were three 'Exage' groups in the early/mid-90s which
    all sat below 105 in the range, Exage 500, 400 and 300. They really don't
    have equivalents in the current range, as they were all quite cheap and
    nasty.