Shimano 600

Steven Smith

Guest
Hi, I collect old balloon bicycle, mostly Schwinn's from the 1930 to
1960. I just pick up a Schwinn Paramount that I think is from the early
90's. I also can across a new set of wheels that have never been on a
bike. I have a couple of questions I need answered. The Paramount has
Shimano 500 brakes and deraillers, and the rims have Shimano 600 hubs.
What my question is, what are those parts equal to today? Are they
Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Thanks, Steve

--

Shimano 600 is ultegra as far as I recall, 500 is 105, 400 is tigara, 300 is
sora.

"Steven Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I collect old balloon bicycle, mostly Schwinn's from the 1930 to
> 1960. I just pick up a Schwinn Paramount that I think is from the early
> 90's. I also can across a new set of wheels that have never been on a
> bike. I have a couple of questions I need answered. The Paramount has
> Shimano 500 brakes and deraillers, and the rims have Shimano 600 hubs.
> What my question is, what are those parts equal to today? Are they
> Shimano 105 or Ultegra? Thanks, Steve
>

> --

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Shimano 600 is ultegra as far as I recall,

More or less, though it's getting hard to make these comparisons as Ultegra
develops. IMO current Ultegra is a far better group that the last couple of
versions of 600.

>500 is 105,

If memory serves there were three 'Exage' groups in the early/mid-90s which
all sat below 105 in the range, Exage 500, 400 and 300. They really don't
have equivalents in the current range, as they were all quite cheap and
nasty.