Shimano 600EX Headset removal

Bbear505

Guest
I need to remove one of these headsets. I know Shimano has special headset wrenches for them. I
missed a set on ebay because I had a mental block on my password at the last minute. Is there any
otherway I can get them off w/o the tools?

thanks, Ernie

> I need to remove one of these headsets. I know Shimano has special
headset
> wrenches for them. I missed a set on ebay because I had a mental block on
my
> password at the last minute. Is there any otherway I can get them off w/o
the
> tools?

You don't need the silly Shimano 600EX tools; no problem using a regular old 32mm cone wrench.
Shimano made it *look* like the only way to adjust it was with a special tool, but fortunately
that's not the case.

"BBear505" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I need to remove one of these headsets. I know Shimano has special
headset
> wrenches for them. I missed a set on ebay because I had a mental block on
my
> password at the last minute. Is there any otherway I can get them off w/o
the
> tools?

Although the splined locknut and adjusting cup are interestingly shaped, a regular 32mm wrench fits
perfectly. You may use either the aluminum Shimano headset wrenches or the same-dimension steel DD
pedal wrenches on them if you wish. A good example of nondestructive innovation, IMHO.

My 1985 Cannondale came with one of those headsets and I bought the special wrench set because I
thought I had to. I then discovered that regular tools work as other posters have said. Regular
wrenches will, however, probably mark the headset nuts and the special aluminum Shimano wrenches
don't do that.

If my headset ever wears out I'm gonna put my wrench set up for sale. That headset has served me for
18 years, it's only been repacked twice, and it's still nice and smooth. I guess I won't be ready to
sell those wrenches anytime soon.

Bob Taylor

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll try my regular headset wrenches.

Ernie

> If my headset ever wears out I'm gonna put my wrench set up for sale. That headset has served me
> for 18 years, it's only been repacked twice, and it's still nice and smooth. I guess I won't be
> ready to sell those wrenches anytime soon.

A properly-adjusted headset, even a cheap one, will last almost forever. Headsets die because people
don't realize that they're overtightening them, and nobody showed them the "secret" for determining
just-right adjustment. I could tell you, but then I'd have to... oh, tough, here it is-

Snug the headset up, tighten the two nuts against each other, and then bounce the front wheel on the
ground (an inch or two will do). Note what it sounds like. Now back it off a bit, retighten and try
again. Keep doing this until you hear a new noise/vibration (it should be pretty obvious). Tighten
only enough for that to go away, and voila, perfectly-adjusted headset.

Due to the different way the top bearing assembly is designed in a threadless system, they're far
less prone to damage from being too tight.

news:[email protected]...