Shimano 6600 Ultegra Right STI does not shift to small chain ring in the cold

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem

Guest
I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
"catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

On Mar 25, 11:29 pm, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
> shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
> pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
> "catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
> a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
> old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

Not just Ultegra, but STI in general. My mom's RSX right shifter would
seize up in the cold It would pull, but not release cable, like you're
seeing. A flush of WD-40 set them right, but Mom didn't want to bother
with them any more, and switched to Campy Mirage Ergos, which have
given her no trouble in the cold as of yet. The RSXes went on the bike
I built for my older brother, and they haven't given him any trouble
yet, although winter isn't as cold here in Seattle as compared to
Spokane, where Mom & Dad live.

On Mar 26, 12:29 am, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
> shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
> pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
> "catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
> a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
> old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

Not uncommon and a good flush with something like WD-40, then a spray
lube may resurrect it. If this doesn't fix, warranty-

On Mar 26, 4:26 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Mar 26, 12:29 am, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone else have the same problem?

> Not uncommon and a good flush with something like WD-40, then a spray
> lube may resurrect it. If this doesn't fix, warranty-

I agree with Pete- the lube gets stickier as it gets colder. That
pushes a marginal situation into no-shifteum-land. A good flush will
probably fix the situation, at least temporarily.

Before you replace the shifter, try replacing the cable and housing
first. A lot of times, sticky cables can cause the same symptoms.

Jeff

<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
> shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
> pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
> "catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
> a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
> old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

Wow, I had the exact same problem, I just assumed the STI shifter was
starting to fail. It was so frustrating -- some days it would even not
shift on the way to work at 0 C or below, but then be fine riding home
in the afternoon at 10 C or above.

My solution was to remove the gears altogether and convert the bike to
a singlespeed. That shifter has been sitting in the parts bin ever
since. Based on my experience mountain biking, if I did go back to a
geared road bike, I would go with the most simple and reliable
solution: friction shifters on the downtube.

If you have any success with the lever, please post, as I am sure that
mine will get used somewhere, someday. Plus, the wife's bike has STI,
so I'll have to keep an eye on it for this issue.

Regards,
Anthony

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:29:21 -0400, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
>shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
>pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
>"catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
>a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
>old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

I'm pretty sure you mean the left shifter, right? ;-)

I've found that when one of my STI shifters exhibits the "Shimano cold
weather syndrome" it helps to pull the big lever toward the outside
(left lever to the left, right to the right) then try the small lever
again. This usually works for me.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Mar 28, 9:06 am, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:29:21 -0400, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have a problem that my LBS told me was inherent in Shimano Ultegra
> >shifters. WHen it is cold (below 50) the shift misses intermittently when
> >pressing the small lever to downshift. It feels like it just doesn't
> >"catch". It is actually fairly dangerous in tight situations. My LBS said
> >a replacement would have the same problem. I didn't have this problem on my
> >old Ultegra double chain ring. Anyone else have the same problem?

> I'm pretty sure you mean the left shifter, right? ;-)
>
> I've found that when one of my STI shifters exhibits the "Shimano cold
> weather syndrome" it helps to pull the big lever toward the outside
> (left lever to the left, right to the right) then try the small lever
> again. This usually works for me.
>
> --
> jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

Interesting in that a shimano dude said they redesigned the shift
mechanism for 10s, made it more like XTR(?), so that this specific
problem was fixed..but 'small lever drags big lever along, jamming
all', seems to still be present. yes, holding big lever outboard does
generally allow small lever to work, in this scenario.