Shimano 6603 bottom bracket spacer - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tim Lines, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
    spacer. Where can I acquire one?

    Tags:

  2. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Tim Lines wrote:
    > I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
    > spacer. Where can I acquire one?

    Please rely either to the newsgroup or to linest253 _at_ yahoo DOOT com

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
    >spacer. Where can I acquire one?

    What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
    BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
    70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
    out of luck.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. Werehatrack wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
    > >spacer. Where can I acquire one?

    > What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
    > BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
    > 70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
    > out of luck.
    > --
    > Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    > Some gardening required to reply via email.
    > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
    to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
    tho-why isn't it there???

  5. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
    >>>spacer. Where can I acquire one?

    >>What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
    >>BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
    >>70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
    >>out of luck.
    >>--
    >>Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    >>Some gardening required to reply via email.
    >>Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    > There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
    > to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
    > tho-why isn't it there???

    Short answer: traded bike parts and an LBS mechanic who was confused
    about a number of things. For instance, he thought the difference
    between double and triple ultegra shifters was the RIGHT hand shifter,
    not the left. I caught that one immediately, but I didn't catch the
    lack of the bottom bracket spacer. Mostly because I didn't know one
    existed. Now that I do, the LBS is saying they don't know what happened
    to it.

  6. Tim Lines wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > Werehatrack wrote:

    > >>What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
    > >>BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
    > >>70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
    > >>out of luck.
    > >>--
    > >>Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    > >>Some gardening required to reply via email.
    > >>Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    > > There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
    > > to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
    > > tho-why isn't it there???
    > >

    > Short answer: traded bike parts and an LBS mechanic who was confused
    > about a number of things. For instance, he thought the difference
    > between double and triple ultegra shifters was the RIGHT hand shifter,
    > not the left. I caught that one immediately, but I didn't catch the
    > lack of the bottom bracket spacer. Mostly because I didn't know one
    > existed. Now that I do, the LBS is saying they don't know what happened
    > to it.

    Sounds like the clueless LBS owes you one. It's their problem to find a
    new one. But a call to shimano USA might help. A LBS wrench that didn't
    know what a triple STI was. Another here in Boulder sold a new Serotta
    with a double FD on a triple Ultegra cuz 'it worked ok'...didn't know
    there was such a thing as a triple FD, I guess. amazing