Shimano 6603 bottom bracket spacer - Where to buy?

Tim Lines

Guest
I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
spacer. Where can I acquire one?

Tim Lines wrote:
> I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
> spacer. Where can I acquire one?

Please rely either to the newsgroup or to linest253 _at_ yahoo DOOT com

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
>spacer. Where can I acquire one?

What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
out of luck.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
> >spacer. Where can I acquire one?

> What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
> BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
> 70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
> out of luck.
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
tho-why isn't it there???

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Werehatrack wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:37:19 -0800, Tim Lines <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I've got a Shimano 6603 crankset without the necessary bottom bracket
>>>spacer. Where can I acquire one?

>>What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
>>BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
>>70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
>>out of luck.
>>--
>>Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
>>Some gardening required to reply via email.
>>Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

> There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
> to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
> tho-why isn't it there???

Short answer: traded bike parts and an LBS mechanic who was confused
about a number of things. For instance, he thought the difference
between double and triple ultegra shifters was the RIGHT hand shifter,
not the left. I caught that one immediately, but I didn't catch the
lack of the bottom bracket spacer. Mostly because I didn't know one
existed. Now that I do, the LBS is saying they don't know what happened
to it.

Tim Lines wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Werehatrack wrote:

> >>What spacer? According to Shimano, the Ultegra FC6603 uses a special
> >>BB that is supplied in two shell widths; 68mm (English thread) and
> >>70mm (Italian thread). If your BB shell is some other width, you're
> >>out of luck.
> >>--
> >>Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> >>Some gardening required to reply via email.
> >>Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

> > There is a honkin big spacer that goes onto the right side BB spindle
> > to allow for enough room for the triple. Call shimano USA. Gotta ask
> > tho-why isn't it there???
> >

> Short answer: traded bike parts and an LBS mechanic who was confused
> about a number of things. For instance, he thought the difference
> between double and triple ultegra shifters was the RIGHT hand shifter,
> not the left. I caught that one immediately, but I didn't catch the
> lack of the bottom bracket spacer. Mostly because I didn't know one
> existed. Now that I do, the LBS is saying they don't know what happened
> to it.

Sounds like the clueless LBS owes you one. It's their problem to find a
new one. But a call to shimano USA might help. A LBS wrench that didn't
know what a triple STI was. Another here in Boulder sold a new Serotta
with a double FD on a triple Ultegra cuz 'it worked ok'...didn't know
there was such a thing as a triple FD, I guess. amazing