Shimano 6700 vs shimano dura ace

mano80

Feb 17, 2013
Hey all. I have a 4 year old shimano ultegra groupo on my 2009 pinarello fp2 . I think it's time to change things up need some of your opinions on what to get . Any opinions will be helpful. I'm even open to campy or SRAM opinions as well .

Why do you "think its time to change things up"? Having problems with the Ultegra, or do you have some extra funds burning a hole in your wallet?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
If I was buying a group, it would (hands down) be electronic Ultegra.

I have the SRAM red group set (http://www.cyclistspot.com/bike-components/where/sram/red.html) on my bike and love it. I have heard good things about the Ultegra too.

mano80 said:
Hey all. I have a 4 year old shimano ultegra groupo on my 2009 pinarello fp2 . I think it's time to change things up need some of your opinions on what to get . Any opinions will be helpful. I'm even open to campy or SRAM opinions as well .
Why time to change? Iffin' you just have to change, there's loads to consider. If we keep the price point around Dura Ace 9000, then you should consider the following:
  1. Dura Ace 9000.
  2. Ultegra Di2, about $100 or so less than Dura Ace 9000.
  3. SRAM Red, about $400 or so less than Dura Ace 9000
  4. Campy Record 11, about $400 less than Dura Ace 900
  5. Campy Chorus 11, about $600 less than Dura Ace 9000
Note that I used Glory Cycles prices as comparators just because it was easy. I think it's safe to assume that price differences will be about the same between dealers. Then there's the eBay route wherein you can find new groups at prices that might be better.......or not. I'm a Campy user so I'm biased toward Record and Chorus, with Record being my preference. Right now I'm using a 6-7 year old Record group, and I've had this many problems with it: 0. I've ridden with Dura Ace before (7800), and I just didn't get on with the ergonomics. With that said, Dura Ace has changed a lot since then, and I have no idea how it functions now, but the word is good. It'd be a tough choice between Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2. I honestly don't know which way I'd go. I didn't like SRAM at all, at least in its function, so out of those listed I'd put SRAM Red last, but that's a personal preference thing. In fact, if others chime in, you'll likely see different answers.

My commuter has 6500 ultegra. My new bike has Ultegra DI2. After 10 years the 6500 is getting a bit loose on the shifters but still operates faultlessly. There is no comparison. I just love the DI2. It's crisp, precise and a joy to use. Unless you are having major trouble (not just consumables), stick with your ultegra and save your hard earned for a new ride down the track.

Originally Posted by mano80 .

... I have a 4 year old shimano ultegra groupo on my 2009 pinarello fp2 . I think it's time to change things up need some of your opinions on what to get . Any opinions will be helpful. I'm even open to campy or SRAM opinions as well .
You certainly don't need to buy an entire group ...

Certainly, a new(er) set of Shimano shifters would probably be a satisfactory alternative UNLESS the change is for cosmetic reasons (nothing wrong with THAT, BTW) ...

If the change is not for cosmetic reasons, then I guess that I can't say it enough (or, some may feel that I have already said it once-too-often!?!), then you may want to consider mating a pair of Campagnolo shifters with your Shimano drivetrain ...
According to Chris Juden's matrix (pictured above), 11-speed Campagnolo shifters + a Shimano rear derailleur yields 10-speed Shimano indexing when the rear derailleur cable is hubbub'd by being attached a 3 o'clock (because the ramping on post-1998 Shimano Cassettes is so superior, the indexing may-or-may not be acceptable when the rear derailleur cable is attached normally, BTW) ...

You can certainly buy a set of 11-speed Campagnolo shifters off of eBay for under $200, 24/7 ...

BTW. I think that the primary disadvantage to using Campagnolo shifters for most people is that they subsequently won't want to use another brand unless they become a sponsored rider ...

Another disadvantage is if an individual falls into the camp where all the components on the bike need to "match" and/or be of the same component group because Campagnolo's consumables cost more than Shimano's ...

BTW2. A few months ago, I (finally?) decided to see how well a 9-speed Shimano chain would work with a 10-speed (!) Shimano Cassette, and it seemed to work well (well enough?) with the bike mounted in a stand ... but, 'I' am using 9-speed Shimano (6500-and-6503) front derailleurs & the cage of a 10-speed Shimano front derailleur may be too narrow to use with a 9-speed chain ,,,

• Campagnolo shifters are compatible with almost any cable operated front derailleur of almost any vintage
  • however, wider chains (e.g., 9-speed) with narrower cages (e.g., 10-speed) may be problematic & require more trimming than usual -- for example, I was able to use an 8-speed Shimano chain with a 9-speed Shimano front derailleur (Campagnolo shifters, of course!), but definitely seemed to need to trim the derailleur more frequently

• AFTER I figured out that 9-speed Shimano chains (9-speed SRAM/etc. chains are probably suitable, too) work with 10-speed Campagnolo Cassettes I decided that for cost-and-convenience they are therefore a better option (for me, at least) than 10-speed Campagnolo chains -- Why pay more?!?

The bottom line is that if you find that you "like" the Campagnolo shifters then you can either STOP worrying about changing the rest of the components OR swap out the rest of the components to Campagnolo a la carte if aesthetic continuity is important to you OR buy the Group which fits your wallet if Chorus/Record/Super-Record suits your aesthetics over the Athena/whatever shifters which you may have initially bought (which can be readily re-sold, of course) ...

OR, if you don't like the Campagnolo shifters for some inexplicable reason, then you can buy the new Shimano shifters/etc.without reservations that there might be something better (beyond the electronic options, of course ... if you believe the hype) out there.