Shimano 7spd cassette..ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Msa

Excuse this maybe simple question but being a Campag user all my life, this ones stumping me!

I bought a second hand bike to use for commuting, it has a Shimano 7 speed cassette. I stripped the
whole bike down to clean and adjust everything but...have one bit over!

I have a metal ring that obviously comes from the cassette as it has the cutouts for the freehub. I
assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal ring in the
bottomm of my cleaning tray. It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the most...it fits around
the freehub. Question is where? Just before the lock ring, first on before the biggest ring??

My fault I know, but can anyone supply the answer?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may
have occurred during transmission

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:58:32 +0000 (UTC), MSA
<[email protected]> wrote:
>It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the most...it fits around the freehub. Question is
>where? Just before the lock ring, first on before the biggest ring??

It sounds like a shim to go on before the cassette, to push it out. Did the rear derailer require
any adjustment after you put it all together?
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> It sounds like a shim to go on before the cassette, to push it out. Did the rear derailer require
> any adjustment after you put it all together?
> --
> Rick Onanian
>

I can't tell because I fitted all new cables.

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:25:49 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It sounds like a shim to go on before the cassette, to push it out. Did the rear derailer require
>any adjustment after you put it all together?
>--

It goes on before the 2nd smallest cog.

MSA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Excuse this maybe simple question but being a Campag user all my life, this ones stumping me!
>
> I bought a second hand bike to use for commuting, it has a Shimano 7 speed cassette. I stripped
> the whole bike down to clean and adjust everything but...have one bit over!
>
> I have a metal ring that obviously comes from the cassette as it has the cutouts for the
> freehub. I assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal
> ring in the bottomm of my cleaning tray. It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the
> most...it fits around the freehub. Question is where? Just before the lock ring, first on before
> the biggest ring??
>
> My fault I know, but can anyone supply the answer?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Dear Mark,

Wish I hadn't thrown out my box of old Shimano 7-speed stuff last week. Here's an exploded drawing
from the old loosescrews catalogue that might help:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/shim7spd.jpg

They're still in business at www.loosescrews.com, but I saw no exploded drawings.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

MSA wrote:

> Excuse this maybe simple question but being a Campag user all my life, this ones stumping me!
>
> I bought a second hand bike to use for commuting, it has a Shimano 7 speed cassette. I stripped
>
> I have a metal ring that obviously comes from the cassette as it has the cutouts for the
> freehub. I assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal
> ring in the bottomm of my cleaning tray. It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the
> most...it fits around the freehub. Question is where? Just before the lock ring, first on before
> the biggest ring??

Between the highest and second-highest gear.

Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that the outside and second cog are obviously too
close together without it.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

MSA wrote:

>
>
> the biggest ring??

Between the highest and second-highest gear.

Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that the outside and second cog or the second and
third are obviously too close together without it.
--

onyerbike-<< I assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal
ring in the bottomm of my cleaning tray. It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the most...it
fits around the freehub. Question is where? Just before the lock ring, first on before the biggest
ring?? >><BR><BR>

Under the last or smallest cog...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

A Muzi wrote:

> Between the highest and second-highest gear.
>
> Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that the outside and second cog are obviously too
> close together without it.

Also possible that someone has fitted a Hyperglide-C cassette to a standard Hyperglide freehub and
has used a spacer to prevent the lockring from bottoming out. If the bike has a 46T big ring but
also has an 11T sprocket, that's probably it.

In article <[email protected]>, vecchio51 @aol.com says...
> onyerbike-<< I assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal
> the biggest ring?? >><BR><BR>
>
> Under the last or smallest cog...
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
>

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Between the highest and second-highest gear.
>
> Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that the outside and second cog or the second and
> third are obviously too close together without it.
> --
> Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>

Thanks for the replies guys.

Strangely enough when looking at the profile the smallest gap was between the 2nd and 3rd cog in.
Does it go there or between the 1st and second smallest??

--

> A Muzi wrote:
>> Between the highest and second-highest gear. Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that
>> the outside and second cog are obviously too close together without it.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Also possible that someone has fitted a Hyperglide-C cassette to a standard Hyperglide freehub and
> has used a spacer to prevent the lockring from bottoming out. If the bike has a 46T big ring but
> also has an 11T sprocket, that's probably it.

Good point.

And that shim goes under the second cog in some brands of cassettes, under the last in others.

--

>>onyerbike-<< I assembled all the rings and spacers back onto the freehub and later found the metal
>>ring in the bottomm of my cleaning tray. It's metal, approx 1mm thick and 2mm wide at the
>>most...it fits around the freehub. Question is where? Just before the lock ring, first on before
>>the biggest ring?? >><BR><BR>

> In article <[email protected]>, vecchio51 @aol.com says...
>>Under the last or smallest cog...

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>>Between the highest and second-highest gear. Look at the cassette in profile and you'll see that
>>the outside and second cog or the second and third are obviously too close together without it.

MSA wrote:
> Thanks for the replies guys. Strangely enough when looking at the profile the smallest gap was
> between the 2nd and 3rd cog in. Does it go there or between the 1st and second smallest??

Look at the cassette in profile. Shimano, SRAM and SunRace have various models. The spacer is a
separate part because it levels the last surface where the rivets go through. That is cheaper than
any other solution.

Also, that shim comes in several thicknesses for different applications. I now that because they
commonly fall out of the cassette boxes in shipping and you can't just grab any for a
replacement. . .
--

>[email protected] (Carl=A0Fogel) wrote"

>Dear Mark,

>Wish I hadn't thrown out my box of old Shimano 7-speed stuff last week. Here's an exploded drawing
>from the old loosescrews catalogue that might help: =A0=A0http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/do
>nload/shim7spd.jpg They're still in business at www.loosescrews.com, but I saw no exploded
>drawings.

>Good luck, Carl Fogel

That's a freeWHEEL drawing, Carl. I'm afraid it's not going to help him much.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote"
>
> >Dear Mark,
>
> >Wish I hadn't thrown out my box of old Shimano 7-speed stuff last week. Here's an exploded
> >drawing from the old loosescrews catalogue that might help: http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/do
> >nload/shim7spd.jpg They're still in business at www.loosescrews.com, but I saw no exploded
> >drawings.
>
> >Good luck, Carl Fogel
>
> That's a freeWHEEL drawing, Carl. I'm afraid it's not going to help him much.
>
> "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"
>
> Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Dear Chris,

Sigh. Immediately after posting it, I smacked my head and said "D'oh!" and began hoping that no one
would notice.

Fat chance.

Even worse, if you look closely, you can make out the lower part of the "FREEWHEEL" legend at the
top of the picture.

At least it had seven gears. I just got excited when I found my old catalogue.

Why, I wonder, is it so hard to find exploded drawings of this kind of stuff on the internet?
Wouldn't they save companies lots of time and trouble?

Is it that companies can save even more time and trouble by not putting the diagrams up and blowing
off potential customers who call for help?

If so, why do the companies spend time and trouble putting up elaborate web sites that make it next
to impossible to find anything useful?

Hell, I look at the sites put up by dealers like Sheldon Brown, Andrew Muzi, John Dacey and others
before I start looking at manufacturer web sites.

When I replaced an ordinary household light switch last night, I wasn't surprised to find that I
needed a test meter to find out which way was on. Despite all sorts of part numbers, patents, and
other useless details, nothing on the switch indicated which position turned the lights on and
should be up. Its lettering and legends were evenly divided in both directions.

Carl Fogel

Status
Not open for further replies.