Shimano 8- 9- 10-speed compatibility?

Thomas David Kehoe

Guest
I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
this cassette with a 9-speed cassette? I checked the catalogs and I see
7/8-speed Shimano hubs, 8/9-speed Shimano hubs, and 8/9/10-speed Shimano
hubs...this is a bit confusing! :)

Checking the Spinergy website, they discontinued the Rev-X in 1999. They say
that the Rev-X used an Ultegra 8-speed freehub body.
--
Thomas David Kehoe
Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:13:23 -0600, Thomas David Kehoe
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
>bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
>this cassette with a 9-speed cassette?

Yes. You can also use a 10-speed cassette.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Thomas David Kehoe wrote:
> I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
> bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
> this cassette with a 9-speed cassette?

Yes, since Spinergy began, they were all, 8s HG, road or MTB, so they
are all hyperglide and shimano compatible...for 7/8 or 9s or even 10s,
if ya had 10s MTB shifters.

I checked the catalogs and I see
> 7/8-speed Shimano hubs, 8/9-speed Shimano hubs, and 8/9/10-speed Shimano
> hubs...this is a bit confusing! :)
>
> Checking the Spinergy website, they discontinued the Rev-X in 1999. They say
> that the Rev-X used an Ultegra 8-speed freehub body.
> --
> Thomas David Kehoe
> Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com
> Not work: http://www.myspace.com/43380153

Could you explain that again, in full sentences? Are you saying that I could
put a 9-speed or 10-speed Shimano cassette onto this wheel? I tried putting
a 9-speed cassette on but the smallest cog didn't have enough "bite."
--
Thomas David Kehoe
Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com
Not work: http://www.myspace.com/43380153

in article [email protected], Qui si
parla Campagnolo at [email protected] wrote on 6/12/06 6:21 AM:

> Thomas David Kehoe wrote:
>> I just picked up a used pair of Spinergy Rev-X 8-spoke carbon fiber mountain
>> bike wheels. The wheels came with a Shimano 8-speed cassette. Can I replace
>> this cassette with a 9-speed cassette?

> Yes, since Spinergy began, they were all, 8s HG, road or MTB, so they
> are all hyperglide and shimano compatible...for 7/8 or 9s or even 10s,
> if ya had 10s MTB shifters.
>
> I checked the catalogs and I see
>> 7/8-speed Shimano hubs, 8/9-speed Shimano hubs, and 8/9/10-speed Shimano
>> hubs...this is a bit confusing! :)
>>
>> Checking the Spinergy website, they discontinued the Rev-X in 1999. They say
>> that the Rev-X used an Ultegra 8-speed freehub body.
>> --
>> Thomas David Kehoe
>> Work: http://www.casafuturatech.com
>> Not work: http://www.myspace.com/43380153

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:26:10 -0600, Thomas David Kehoe
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Could you explain that again, in full sentences? Are you saying that I could
>put a 9-speed or 10-speed Shimano cassette onto this wheel? I tried putting
>a 9-speed cassette on but the smallest cog didn't have enough "bite."

Aren't all 9 speed Shimano mounted with a retainer ring and not the cog?

Ron

Thomas David Kehoe wrote:
> Could you explain that again, in full sentences? Are you saying that I could
> put a 9-speed or 10-speed Shimano cassette onto this wheel? I tried putting
> a 9-speed cassette on but the smallest cog didn't have enough "bite."

That wheel was made as a shimano hyperglide, 8s freehub body, to accept
a shimano 8s cogset. shimano 9s and 10s cogset spline pattern didn't
change so you can put a shimano 9s or 10s cogset onto that wheel.