Shimano 9 & 10 FD Cage widths

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
A few Q's related to a specific problem:

Does anybody have any idea how much narrower the 10speed FD cages are compared to the 9sp cages?

Relevance? I'm trying to get a 10sp compact setup to shift cleanly, and its just not happening.

It's a 50/36 Truvativ rouleur, with a 10sp 12-25 on the back, using a 10sp chain. I've tried the front with a 9sp ultegra and DA FDs, and the FSA C-16 Compact Specific FD, which is supposedly compatible with 8/9/10sp.

Problems? When going from small to big, I can't for the life of me get the 36-->50 to shift cleanly under load. It will shift fine in a wordstand, but as soon as you put it on the road or on a trainer, it will refuse to shift. It will just rub up against the inside of the big ring, and the pins just won't pick it up.

If I adjust the limit screws 1/4 a turn to get the thing to shift, the chain can overshift off the big ring (but not always - I can't determine the specific circumstances that this happens).

Short of changing the chainrings (I have heard that Truvativ chainrings aren't the greatest), I suspect that perhaps changing the FD to a narrower cage may solve the problem, and if this is the case, perhaps the 10s FD may solve it?

Would perhaps squeezing the plates of the 9speed FD to narrow the cage also work?

Many thanks in advance for assistance.

n

I had similar problems. I ended up putting Shimano chainrings on my FSA SLK crankset when their compact crankset came out. That was really the fix. I would think any of your FD would work very well then, and I think you would spend about the same for another FD as the 50 tooth chainring...