Shimano 9-sp chain ring compatible with 10 speed Campy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Karpik, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Steve Karpik

    Steve Karpik Guest

    A rider that I coach owns a Shimano Octalink style SRM crank set. She
    is being sponsored by a team that will provide 10-speed Campy equipped
    bikes. We're thinking of taking out the Campy bb and replacing it with
    a Shimano Octalink bb so she can use her SRM. Will the Campy 10-speed
    chain and front derailleur be OK with the 9-speed Shimano chain rings
    mounted on the SRM crank?

    There's no way that she can afford to buy a new SRM that has the Campy
    bolt circle. Any suggestions.

    Thanks for all advice.

    Steve Karpik

    Tags:

  2. steve-<< We're thinking of taking out the Campy bb and replacing it with
    a Shimano Octalink bb so she can use her SRM. Will the Campy 10-speed
    chain and front derailleur be OK with the 9-speed Shimano chain rings
    mounted on the SRM crank? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, w/o probelm and w/o any modification.

    The left/front ERGO is such that you can use any front der/crank combo and the
    10s chain will mesh just fine with shimano rings.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > steve-<< We're thinking of taking out the Campy bb and replacing it with
    > a Shimano Octalink bb so she can use her SRM. Will the Campy 10-speed
    > chain and front derailleur be OK with the 9-speed Shimano chain rings
    > mounted on the SRM crank? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Yes, w/o probelm and w/o any modification.
    >
    > The left/front ERGO is such that you can use any front der/crank combo and the
    > 10s chain will mesh just fine with shimano rings.

    they mesh fine, being as they're the same pitch & all, and they /do/
    work, but the pickups on the 9s don't work as well on the 10s chain as
    they do on the 9s chain. the two chains are very different in design -
    the 9s having bulges in the outer plates specifically /for/ pickup.

    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Steve Karpik wrote:
    > A rider that I coach owns a Shimano Octalink style SRM crank set. She
    > is being sponsored by a team that will provide 10-speed Campy equipped
    > bikes. We're thinking of taking out the Campy bb and replacing it with
    > a Shimano Octalink bb so she can use her SRM. Will the Campy 10-speed
    > chain and front derailleur be OK with the 9-speed Shimano chain rings
    > mounted on the SRM crank?
    >
    > There's no way that she can afford to buy a new SRM that has the Campy
    > bolt circle. Any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks for all advice.
    >
    > Steve Karpik

    the chain'll work, but it won't shift as cleanly as if she had the
    shimano 10s chain ring - different pickup config on the 9s ring
    "prefers" 9s chain.

    the campy shifter will shift anything.

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:51:52 -0800, jim beam <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >they mesh fine, being as they're the same pitch & all, and they /do/
    >work, but the pickups on the 9s don't work as well on the 10s chain as
    >they do on the 9s chain. the two chains are very different in design -
    >the 9s having bulges in the outer plates specifically /for/ pickup.

    The side plates of Shimano 10 and Wipperman 10 are flat. In the
    limited playing I've done, the flat plates don't pickup as quickly on
    the shift assists of any ring.

    Using a Campy system and Shimano 9 chain, I can shift up to big rings
    with just bevels and no ramps or pins. With the flat sideplate, I
    need a more pronounced shift pin and ramp. The rings I've used are
    FSA from the Compact crankset, SR/Maes from years ago, Shimano HG, and
    2002 Stronglight.

    The cheapo IRD 10 chain has worked the best for me among the 10 speed
    chains. I have no experience with Campy chain. I always use a
    removable link.