Shimano 9 SPD on a Hed Disk

ftrout

Aug 8, 2003
Hello,

I have a Hed Disk I use on the track.

I don't think it is a specific track wheel (it does not have the characteristic track second reverse treading )

Is there a way to set-it up for a Shimano 9 spd road bike ?
A cassette attachment of some sort for instance !
I don't think that you can find a 9 spd freewheel compatible with Dura-ace shifters !

Regards

The website says it comes in freewheel, cassette, and track versions and that the freewheel version can be converted for single-speed use. "For optimum versatility, the screw-on version can be converted with the aid of a track kit into a single speed track disc." It does not sound as though conversion between cassette and track is possible but you can contact HED at [email protected] to see.

ftrout said:
Hello,

I have a Hed Disk I use on the track.

I don't think it is a specific track wheel (it does not have the characteristic track second reverse treading )

Is there a way to set-it up for a Shimano 9 spd road bike ?
A cassette attachment of some sort for instance !
I don't think that you can find a 9 spd freewheel compatible with Dura-ace shifters !

Regards

If the disc doesnt have the reverse (locknut) threading usually associated with a track wheel then maybe it is the road freewheel version. This leads me to suggest the only option that i can think of. Get hold of a 9spd screw on cluster. Im sure somebody used to make them (sachs possibly?) This should be compatible with 9spd Dura ace shifters and hopefully solve your problem.

BTW what is your chain-line like when running this wheel as a track disc? If the wheel is road specific, then the thread will most likely place the sprocket in an awkward position creating lots of chain noise and wear.