shimano 9 speed shifter with 8 speed cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fred, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. fred

    fred Guest

    My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
    a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
    and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
    speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Brian S

    Brian S Guest

    fred wrote:
    > My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
    > a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
    > and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
    > speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
    > Thanks

    A while ago I ran 9 speed sti shifters with 8 speed everything else for
    a few months (all of it including shifters were Ultegra). It mostly
    worked. I had an extra shift 3/4 in the upper gear range. I woundn't
    recomend racing it because it was kinda sloppy. It worked about 5 years
    ago, so propably will still. I'd get sick of it over the long term, but
    in a pinch I'd put up with it again.

    From what I remember, as long as you don't need an 11, your 8 speed
    hubs should be able to take a 9 speed cassette. You can then leave
    everything else alone. Did that with an old bike. Runs fine.

    OT Don't try running a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed cassette. That sucks.
    skippidy doodah.

  3. john

    john Guest

    "That sucks. skippidy doodah"

    That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John

  4. Brian S

    Brian S Guest

    john wrote:
    > "That sucks. skippidy doodah"
    >
    > That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John

    Glad someone got a laugh. I didn't really find the shifting that bad. I
    just wouldn't want to for a really long time, esp when you can easily
    just change a cassette and be done with it. That is, unless you have a
    very strange rear hub.

    Some early DuraAce ones had strange hub bodies. A friend of mine
    couldn't replace his cassette at all because if it. He'd have to replace
    the hub body. <shrug> progress?

  5. fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it
    > with a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace
    > derrailer and 8 speed cassette?

    Yes. 8x DuraAce shifters pull the same amount of cable as all 9x
    Shimano shifters do.

    > Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9 speed dura ace vs 105
    > vs ultegra?

    No, Shimano unified shifter cable pull/derailleur geometry as part
    of going 9x.

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  6. fred wrote:
    > My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
    > a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
    > and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
    > speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
    > Thanks

    8s DA rear ders are designed such that when using a 9s shifter and with
    a DA 8s rear der, it will indeed shift 8s spacing.

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 1 Feb 2006 17:03:41 -0800, "fred" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
    >a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
    >and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
    >speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
    >Thanks

    If you keep your 7402 8sp DA rear derailleur, you'll shift Shimano 8
    fine. Should you use a different Shimano rear derailleur, you'll
    shift 8 or 9 cogs on a 9sp cassette. The spacing on the various
    models of cassettes is the same for the same number of cogs.

  8. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:17:13 -0500, Brian S <[email protected]> wrote:

    >john wrote:
    >> "That sucks. skippidy doodah"
    >>
    >> That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John
    >>

    >Glad someone got a laugh. I didn't really find the shifting that bad. I
    >just wouldn't want to for a really long time, esp when you can easily
    >just change a cassette and be done with it. That is, unless you have a
    >very strange rear hub.
    >
    >Some early DuraAce ones had strange hub bodies. A friend of mine
    >couldn't replace his cassette at all because if it. He'd have to replace
    >the hub body. <shrug> progress?

    I've got one of those DA 8s Uniglide with a threaded on 12t cog. I'll be
    shopping for a new freehub body when these wear out. They made it exactly one
    year.

    Ron