shimano 9 speed shifter with 8 speed cassette

fred

Guest
My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
Thanks

fred wrote:
> My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
> a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
> and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
> speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
> Thanks

A while ago I ran 9 speed sti shifters with 8 speed everything else for
a few months (all of it including shifters were Ultegra). It mostly
worked. I had an extra shift 3/4 in the upper gear range. I woundn't
recomend racing it because it was kinda sloppy. It worked about 5 years
ago, so propably will still. I'd get sick of it over the long term, but
in a pinch I'd put up with it again.

From what I remember, as long as you don't need an 11, your 8 speed
hubs should be able to take a 9 speed cassette. You can then leave
everything else alone. Did that with an old bike. Runs fine.

OT Don't try running a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed cassette. That sucks.
skippidy doodah.

"That sucks. skippidy doodah"

That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John

john wrote:
> "That sucks. skippidy doodah"
>
> That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John

Glad someone got a laugh. I didn't really find the shifting that bad. I
just wouldn't want to for a really long time, esp when you can easily
just change a cassette and be done with it. That is, unless you have a
very strange rear hub.

Some early DuraAce ones had strange hub bodies. A friend of mine
couldn't replace his cassette at all because if it. He'd have to replace
the hub body. <shrug> progress?

fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it
> with a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace
> derrailer and 8 speed cassette?

Yes. 8x DuraAce shifters pull the same amount of cable as all 9x
Shimano shifters do.

> Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9 speed dura ace vs 105
> vs ultegra?

No, Shimano unified shifter cable pull/derailleur geometry as part
of going 9x.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

fred wrote:
> My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
> a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
> and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
> speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
> Thanks

8s DA rear ders are designed such that when using a 9s shifter and with
a DA 8s rear der, it will indeed shift 8s spacing.

On 1 Feb 2006 17:03:41 -0800, "fred" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My 8 speed dura ace sti shimano shifter is shot. Can I replace it with
>a 9 speed sti shifter using my preexisting 8 speed dura ace derrailer
>and 8 speed cassette? Is there any intercompatabilty issues with 9
>speed dura ace vs 105 vs ultegra?
>Thanks

If you keep your 7402 8sp DA rear derailleur, you'll shift Shimano 8
fine. Should you use a different Shimano rear derailleur, you'll
shift 8 or 9 cogs on a 9sp cassette. The spacing on the various
models of cassettes is the same for the same number of cogs.

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:17:13 -0500, Brian S <[email protected]> wrote:

>john wrote:
>> "That sucks. skippidy doodah"
>>
>> That great! I got a belly laugh out of that, John
>>

>Glad someone got a laugh. I didn't really find the shifting that bad. I
>just wouldn't want to for a really long time, esp when you can easily
>just change a cassette and be done with it. That is, unless you have a
>very strange rear hub.
>
>Some early DuraAce ones had strange hub bodies. A friend of mine
>couldn't replace his cassette at all because if it. He'd have to replace
>the hub body. <shrug> progress?

I've got one of those DA 8s Uniglide with a threaded on 12t cog. I'll be
shopping for a new freehub body when these wear out. They made it exactly one
year.

Ron