Shimano 9 to 10 speed upgrade w/out new levers

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I understand that Campy has cams that you can use to upgrade the shift/brake levers from 9 to 10 speed.
Does Shimano offer this? Do you think an enterprising individual with access to precision fabrication equipment could make it happen?

Mish said:
I understand that Campy has cams that you can use to upgrade the shift/brake levers from 9 to 10 speed.
Does Shimano offer this? Do you think an enterprising individual with access to precision fabrication equipment could make it happen?
No. That enterprising individual would have to be able to reconstruct a Shimano lever which is a difficult job.

bobbyOCR said:
No. That enterprising individual would have to be able to reconstruct a Shimano lever which is a difficult job.

I thought that the internal mechanism was the only thing that changed. Maybe a toothed cam that has 10 teeth instead of 9. Anyway, I guess the only way to upgrade is to buy new shift/brake levers. Do I need both the left and right or will the left still work with the chainrings?

Mish said:
I thought that the internal mechanism was the only thing that changed. Maybe a toothed cam that has 10 teeth instead of 9. Anyway, I guess the only way to upgrade is to buy new shift/brake levers. Do I need both the left and right or will the left still work with the chainrings?
You could technically get away with only the right shifter, though it would look goofy since they would be a different shape. You're not going to be able to rebuild the Shimano shifters.