Shimano 9spd-10spd conversion question

I have Dura-Ace 9 speed on my bike now and would like to convert to D-A
10 speed. What parts do I need to make the conversion? Do I really
need a new crank or front der?
thanks in advance

[email protected] wrote:

> I have Dura-Ace 9 speed on my bike now and would like to convert to D-A
> 10 speed. What parts do I need to make the conversion? Do I really
> need a new crank or front der?

No. You need 4 things:

1. Shifters
B. Cassette
III. Chain
d. Handlebar tape.

Make sure to get 10-speed compatible handlebar tape.

Sheldon "Upgrades" Brown
| Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog |
| and order on line: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> No. You need 4 things:
>
> 1. Shifters
> B. Cassette
> III. Chain
> d. Handlebar tape.
>
> Make sure to get 10-speed compatible handlebar tape.

Sheldon, you're being completely irresponsible.

Now this poor soul is going to end up with the wrong
bar plugs.

Larry Coon
University of California

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:51:36 -0800, Larry Coon
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sheldon Brown wrote:
>
>> No. You need 4 things:
>>
>> 1. Shifters
>> B. Cassette
>> III. Chain
>> d. Handlebar tape.
>>
>> Make sure to get 10-speed compatible handlebar tape.

>Sheldon, you're being completely irresponsible.
>
>Now this poor soul is going to end up with the wrong
>bar plugs.
>

>Larry Coon
>University of California

Dear Larry,

Bah!

Double-blind testing shows that most riders cannot tell the
difference between different brands of bar plugs until
speeds exceed 35 mph when the proper 10-speed compatible
handlebar tape has been correctly installed.

Unless, of course, the bar plugs have been greased before
installation.

Carl Fogel

may have said:

>Sheldon Brown wrote:
>
>> No. You need 4 things:
>>
>> 1. Shifters
>> B. Cassette
>> III. Chain
>> d. Handlebar tape.
>>
>> Make sure to get 10-speed compatible handlebar tape.

>Sheldon, you're being completely irresponsible.
>
>Now this poor soul is going to end up with the wrong
>bar plugs.

Yeah, and he forgot to mention the special 10-speed chain lube, too.