Shimano 9speed cassette mods

wilwood

Sep 1, 2004
Has anyone disembled a Shimano 9 speed cassette (riveted sections) and created there own sprocket cluster? :rolleyes:

wilwood said:
Has anyone disembled a Shimano 9 speed cassette (riveted sections) and created there own sprocket cluster? :rolleyes:
Yup. It's easy. Had 2 HG-50 cassettes (one road, one MTB) and took the rivets out to make a cassette with very tight gear ratios for riding on the flats.

On Shimano's home page they have exploded views of their cassettes and the spacers in between the cogs have different part numbers. However, I held them up next to each other after cleaning them up and couldn't see any difference in them with the naked eye.

Doctor Morbius said:
Yup. It's easy. Had 2 HG-50 cassettes (one road, one MTB) and took the rivets out to make a cassette with very tight gear ratios for riding on the flats.

On Shimano's home page they have exploded views of their cassettes and the spacers in between the cogs have different part numbers. However, I held them up next to each other after cleaning them up and couldn't see any difference in them with the naked eye.
It only works with the ones below ultegra(ones with cogs not mounted on carriers),and they are bolts that take a small allen wrench.

boudreaux said:
It only works with the ones below ultegra(ones with cogs not mounted on carriers),and they are bolts that take a small allen wrench.
I don't know which specific model number he's referring to but he did state they were riveted.

Wilwood, Here's the exploded view of a 105 HG-70 cassette for your convenience ...

http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/CS/si_images/CS_HG70-9R_SI.pdf

Edit: Boudreaux, you had mentioned in another thread that you liked the Shimano Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro Wheelset for a strong, economical training wheel? Supergo.com currently has them for $200 with free shipping.

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=24196&lsubcat_id=7569&lcat_id=7605&referpage=

Thanks Doc

I forgot to mention that it is a Dura Ace 9 speed cassette (CS-7700) and it looks like I would have to drill out or press out the riveted section of the cassette. I am trying to do just what you have done a straight cluster.

boudreaux said:

Yes but the cheaper models can be rivited ( 7 and 8 ) , the sprokets can be swapped but NOT the seperators ( ie 9´s with 9´s , 8´s with 8´s etc ) www.sheldonbrown.com has some good info on the subject .
I´ve taken an Ultegra 13-25 and made it a 14 -28 , and a 105 13-25 into a 13-28 and they work fine - mind you on a MTB I´ve tried to change an 8-speed 11-28 into a 11-21 and a 11-24 and it doesn´t work very well ( but I think that´s the frame , a piece of s**t )

Hi Boudreaux , long time no see . :cool:

wilwood said:
Thanks Doc

I forgot to mention that it is a Dura Ace 9 speed cassette (CS-7700) and it looks like I would have to drill out or press out the riveted section of the cassette. I am trying to do just what you have done a straight cluster.
Wheels manufacturing apparently does it with ultegra and DA casettes whrn they rework tham for campy spacing. Duno about trying in in Bubbas garage.

boudreaux said:
Probably better to be bike riding than hanging around this place. ;)

Too true , too true - unfortunatly I fell some months ago and seperated my hip ( the bad leg ) and while the hip´s now fine the ankle´s now causing major trouble , seem to have sprained it or something at our lawyer´s party for his daughter´s birthday ; Spanish grass is poor , thick and spongy - just too much stress for an ankle weakened by bed rest and crutches , ho hum . :(

Had some fun in the garage today - took an unused Shimano 8 speed hub and tried to mount 9 speeds in Campagnolo 10 speed spacing on it.

First I had to make seven 2.4mm spacers out of some old 3mm ones, by fixing them on a wooden base and carefully filing. Then I fixed all the (Shimano Hyperglide) sprockets on the hub - spaced the end cog to 2.5mm with a bit of filing and fitted the wheel to my Campag 10 equipped bike (Chain Campag 10 and Ergopower Centaur setup).

Came the big moment and guess what? It changes butter smooth - much better than the sudden clunk you get on the standard Campag sprockets.

I am really happy to be able to use this redundant equipment but in a way sad, that my new Campag stuff doesn't change so well. I include my Record 10 setup on my best bike in that judgement.

It seems the secret of Shimano´s silky change is in the cogs...