Shimano A600 vs CrankBros Eggbeater/Candy 3

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NicolaZ, Nov 24, 2012.

1. NicolaZ

NicolaZ New Member

Dear all,

I’m looking to change my current SPD hybrid pedals with either the Shimano A600 or the CrankBros Eggbeater/Candy 3.
    I use my bike for commuting, which means stopping at lights and STOPs rather often, and for medium-length bike rides whenever I can. I use Mavic Razor shoes, which have nice stiff soles.

I like CrankBros Eggbeater’s four-way entry system and generous float, but I read some really nasty reviews here and there, which mainly complain about the pedal breaking down easily and the poor durability of the brass cleats. I am a little concerned about that because I do walk a fair amount in my cycling shoes and the SPD cleats have coped rather well with that.

On the other hand, Shimano A600 pedals are “one-way” entry only but they are durable.

Anybody has experience with both?

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

CrankBros i believe cannot be adjusted for cleat exit, the Shimano you can adjust for easier or harder exit of the shoes, i agree the SPD sustain well enough walking, but for commuting purposes i use a double platform pedal, one side SPD and the other normal dented steel patform, very convienient with just a few extra grams punishment,

3. qdc15

qdc15 Member

I don't like Crank Brothers. Even with new cleats the retention is weak, causing inadvertent release. I prefer pedals that hold on tighter. If you want a dual purpose pedal such as the Shimano A600, I would recommend instead pedals like those vspa suggests. I've read that he non-cleat side of the A600 are slippery. I think Shimano PD-M324 would offer more secure footing when using the non-cleated side. I've recently replaced Crank Brothers with Time MTB pedals on two of my bikes. After trying several brands, Time pedals are my favorite. Easy in/out but with good retention. Worth your consideration.

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

CB cleats are soft, granted. But the only times I've come out of them unintentionally has been in crashes, which has probably been a good thing anyhow.

CB durability/quality seems so-so.
    I've accidentally trashed two pairs beyond redemption.One was a low-end model(Smarty) but I guess I got my money's worth first. The other was a Candy, where one of the pedals had been assembled w/o any lube at all. Come to think of it, my first pair of Eggbeaters had one of the seals wrung outside-in at delivery.

But at the end of the day I still like the float, the mud/snow clearing ability, the easy entry. And a while longer I'm willing to put up with yearly rebuilds, and 6-month clean/lube intervals.

5. David Gerchman

David Gerchman New Member

If your coming out of eggbeaters easily, then something is wore out. I have loled at my cousin many times because he has fallen over. but maybe he just has a really tight set. I just got speedplays myself.