Shimano Alfine 8 Internal Rear Hub - Reliability? Durability? Functionality?

In article
<[email protected]>
,
Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Oct 5, 6:59 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That varies a lot by geographic location. When I was a bike mechanic
> > > in Austin, I never saw significant rim wear except on the sloppiest
> > > mountain bikes. When I lived in Seattle, it seemed that everybody who
> > > rode regularly in the rain eventually wore out their rims. Some did
> > > so every year.

> > > Austin and Seattle get a very similar amount of total annual
> > > precipitation, but in a very dissimilar number of rainy days. Seattle
> > > gets about 200 days per year of steady drizzle that has the effect of
> > > dispersing grit and grime all over everything. Austin gets most of
> > > its rain as a few tremendous thunderstorms that purge the streets
> > > clean. And Seattle's soil is granite-based, while Austin's is
> > > limestone-based. By spending a lot more wet days coated in more (and
> > > more abrasive) grit, Seattle riders have a much larger opportunity to
> > > grind down their rim sidewalls.

> > That sounds sorta logical, but is road grit caused by soil or the
> > erosion of pavement? Or is it that the pavement is made with local
> > rock, so the grit varies?
> >
> > Never had a problem in Chicago's winters when I ran Koolstops for over
> > three years on the same bike, know what the soil is like there? It's
> > limestone here, btw.
> >
> > Also--what kind of pads did the offending bikes use? I'm not
> > discounting your theory one bit, but curious about other variables.- Hide quoted text -

> I've lived (and rode) in Chicago and Seattle, and I think the
> noticeable thing about Seattle rims is the constant black slurry on
> the brakes all winter. It's pretty gritty and makes changing your
> times a complete mess. I never noticed that in Chicago which always
> had colder, dryer winters. I've blown out 2 rims in Seattle. I don't
> think I've come close anywhere else. I've switched to a disc rain
> bike, so no more of that mess. Sorta hard to ride home on a blown
> rim.
>
> As for what the "slurry" stuff is - who knows, but Chalo seems to at
> least be in the ballpark.

Volcanic? Lots of volcanos up there that were active over the
eons. Plenty of glass in volcanic dust.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>
> ,
> Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> That sounds sorta logical, but is road grit caused by soil or the
>>> erosion of pavement? Or is it that the pavement is made with local
>>> rock, so the grit varies?
>>>
>>> Never had a problem in Chicago's winters when I ran Koolstops for over
>>> three years on the same bike, know what the soil is like there? It's
>>> limestone here, btw.
>>>
>>> Also--what kind of pads did the offending bikes use? I'm not
>>> discounting your theory one bit, but curious about other variables.- Hide quoted text -

>> I've lived (and rode) in Chicago and Seattle, and I think the
>> noticeable thing about Seattle rims is the constant black slurry on
>> the brakes all winter. It's pretty gritty and makes changing your
>> times a complete mess. I never noticed that in Chicago which always
>> had colder, dryer winters. I've blown out 2 rims in Seattle. I don't
>> think I've come close anywhere else. I've switched to a disc rain
>> bike, so no more of that mess. Sorta hard to ride home on a blown
>> rim.
>>
>> As for what the "slurry" stuff is - who knows, but Chalo seems to at
>> least be in the ballpark.

> Volcanic? Lots of volcanos up there that were active over the
> eons. Plenty of glass in volcanic dust.

Could be carbon from car tyres maybe? I mean car tyres do wear. Could
even be carbon from car exhausts.

Dorf

On Oct 6, 12:00 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Oct 5, 6:59 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That varies a lot by geographic location. When I was a bike mechanic
> > > in Austin, I never saw significant rim wear except on the sloppiest
> > > mountain bikes. When I lived in Seattle, it seemed that everybody who
> > > rode regularly in the rain eventually wore out their rims. Some did
> > > so every year.

> > > Austin and Seattle get a very similar amount of total annual
> > > precipitation, but in a very dissimilar number of rainy days. Seattle
> > > gets about 200 days per year of steady drizzle that has the effect of
> > > dispersing grit and grime all over everything. Austin gets most of
> > > its rain as a few tremendous thunderstorms that purge the streets
> > > clean. And Seattle's soil is granite-based, while Austin's is
> > > limestone-based. By spending a lot more wet days coated in more (and
> > > more abrasive) grit, Seattle riders have a much larger opportunity to
> > > grind down their rim sidewalls.

> > That sounds sorta logical, but is road grit caused by soil or the
> > erosion of pavement? Or is it that the pavement is made with local
> > rock, so the grit varies?

> > Never had a problem in Chicago's winters when I ran Koolstops for over
> > three years on the same bike, know what the soil is like there? It's
> > limestone here, btw.

> > Also--what kind of pads did the offending bikes use? I'm not
> > discounting your theory one bit, but curious about other variables.- Hide quoted text -

> I've lived (and rode) in Chicago and Seattle, and I think the
> noticeable thing about Seattle rims is the constant black slurry on
> the brakes all winter.

That's just tire dust and asbestos from the road AFAIK, you get it
anywhere it rains. I'm still pretty convinced that, though Chalo's
theory is interesting--it's simply about rain and dirt and brand of
brake shoe.

landotter wrote:
> On Oct 6, 12:00 am, Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> That sounds sorta logical, but is road grit caused by soil or the
>>> erosion of pavement? Or is it that the pavement is made with local
>>> rock, so the grit varies?
>>> Never had a problem in Chicago's winters when I ran Koolstops for over
>>> three years on the same bike, know what the soil is like there? It's
>>> limestone here, btw.
>>> Also--what kind of pads did the offending bikes use? I'm not
>>> discounting your theory one bit, but curious about other variables.- Hide quoted text -

>> I've lived (and rode) in Chicago and Seattle, and I think the
>> noticeable thing about Seattle rims is the constant black slurry on
>> the brakes all winter.

> That's just tire dust and asbestos from the road AFAIK, you get it
> anywhere it rains. I'm still pretty convinced that, though Chalo's
> theory is interesting--it's simply about rain and dirt and brand of
> brake shoe.

nah, the black **** on brakes in the rain is powdered rim metal and
brake compound mixture. no asbestos used in automotive brakes for
decades now.

landotter who? wrote:
> On Oct 5, 1:11 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> landotter wrote:
>>
>>> Very few people actually wear out rims that don't ride either off road
>>> or serious road mileage. Rerimming isn't expensive or hard. My city
>>> bike can take a 610mm ERD Alex box rim that runs $18 if I ever wear
>>> them out. I used to run cantis in winter slush--with Koolstops, I
>>> never had a problem stopping or with excessive rim wear.

>> That varies a lot by geographic location. When I was a bike mechanic
>> in Austin, I never saw significant rim wear except on the sloppiest
>> mountain bikes. When I lived in Seattle, it seemed that everybody who
>> rode regularly in the rain eventually wore out their rims. Some did
>> so every year.
>>
>> Austin and Seattle get a very similar amount of total annual
>> precipitation, but in a very dissimilar number of rainy days. Seattle
>> gets about 200 days per year of steady drizzle that has the effect of
>> dispersing grit and grime all over everything. Austin gets most of
>> its rain as a few tremendous thunderstorms that purge the streets
>> clean. And Seattle's soil is granite-based, while Austin's is
>> limestone-based. By spending a lot more wet days coated in more (and
>> more abrasive) grit, Seattle riders have a much larger opportunity to
>> grind down their rim sidewalls.

> That sounds sorta logical, but is road grit caused by soil or the
> erosion of pavement? Or is it that the pavement is made with local
> rock, so the grit varies?
>
> Never had a problem in Chicago's winters when I ran Koolstops for over
> three years on the same bike, know what the soil is like there? It's
> limestone here, btw.

Make your own customized soil report at
<http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/>.

The Chicago area is covered with glacial deposits (primarily clay) from
the Wisconsin Age.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Dorfus Dippintush <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>
> > ,
> > Andrew Martin <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> I've lived (and rode) in Chicago and Seattle, and I think the
> >> noticeable thing about Seattle rims is the constant black slurry on
> >> the brakes all winter. It's pretty gritty and makes changing your
> >> times a complete mess. I never noticed that in Chicago which always
> >> had colder, dryer winters. I've blown out 2 rims in Seattle. I don't
> >> think I've come close anywhere else. I've switched to a disc rain
> >> bike, so no more of that mess. Sorta hard to ride home on a blown
> >> rim.
> >>
> >> As for what the "slurry" stuff is - who knows, but Chalo seems to at
> >> least be in the ballpark.

> > Volcanic? Lots of volcanos up there that were active over the
> > eons. Plenty of glass in volcanic dust.
> >

> Could be carbon from car tyres maybe? I mean car tyres do wear. Could
> even be carbon from car exhausts.

Tire powder and oil are everywhere.
The question is what makes Seattle different,
in addition to the year around rain.

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Dorfus Dippintush <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>> > In article
>> > <[email protected]>
>> > ,
>> > Andrew Martin <[email protected]>

>> > Volcanic? Lots of volcanos up there that were active over the
>> > eons. Plenty of glass in volcanic dust.
>> >

>> Could be carbon from car tyres maybe? I mean car tyres do wear. Could
>> even be carbon from car exhausts.

> Tire powder and oil are everywhere.
> The question is what makes Seattle different,
> in addition to the year around rain.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Is Seattle like Portland in its use of sand during the winter? I think
Chicago uses salt, so the stuff picked up by rims and brakes could be pretty
different.
Kerry

Michael Press wrote:
> Tire powder and oil are everywhere.
> The question is what makes Seattle different,
> in addition to the year around rain.

I do not know. I used to visit Seattle regularly and noticed that it's
unusually dry. The frequent mini-rain events don't wash the streets
clean as our midwestern thunderstorms do. You can get 'rained on' a
couple times during a ride and still be dry. Weird.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

jim beam wrote:

> no asbestos used in automotive brakes for
> decades now.

Absolutely not true, not even close.

[email protected] wrote:

> For those interested in the subject rather than the
> assertions:
>
> http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

From that I assume one can still buy asbestos-based friction
materials in the US.

Given the availability of substitutes, and the bans in many
other developed countries, that seems to be taking the
principles of laissez faire capitalism a little too far.

With our heavy breathing in traffic, asbestos from motor vehicle
brakes should be a concern for cyclists.

John

[email protected] wrote:

> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> >jim beam wrote:

> >> no asbestos used in automotive brakes for
> >> decades now.

> >Absolutely not true, not even close.

> For those interested in the subject rather than the assertions:
>
> http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

It's okay to say it, Carl. It's not impolite.

jim beam is wrong, demonstrably.

--
Ted Bennett

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:58:34 -0700, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> Peter Cole wrote:

>> >Absolutely not true, not even close.

>> For those interested in the subject rather than the assertions:
>>
>> http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>It's okay to say it, Carl. It's not impolite.
>
>jim beam is wrong, demonstrably.

Dear Ted,

And Peter Cole is demonstrably not as right as the yes-it-is,
absolutely-no-it-isn't back and forth that does little credit to
either poster.

It's hard to say which is more irritating, the reflexive snarling or
the preference for blanket assertions without explanation.

More and more, I just delete their posts (and others) as soon it looks
like another round of no-content yes-no.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Andrew Martin wrote:

> As for what the "slurry" stuff is - who knows, but Chalo seems to at
> least be in the ballpark.

The "black" in the black **** all over Seattle bike wheels is almost
certainly a mixture of pulverized rim and brake pad. But it's the
result of abrasion, not the cause.

Chalo

landotter wrote:

> That's just tire dust and asbestos from the road AFAIK, you get it
> anywhere it rains. I'm still pretty convinced that, though Chalo's
> theory is interesting--it's simply about rain and dirt and brand of
> brake shoe.

I was never ablke to discern a correlation between type of brake bad
and amount of abrasion-- outside of the horrible 1990s Shimano rim-
grater pads. I've seen folks in Seattle wear out their rims with
stock pads, Kool Stops, Ritcheys, and others.

Chalo

On Oct 6, 1:41 pm, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > For those interested in the subject rather than the
> > assertions:

> >http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

> From that I assume one can still buy asbestos-based friction
> materials in the US.
>
> Given the availability of substitutes, and the bans in many
> other developed countries, that seems to be taking the
> principles of laissez faire capitalism a little too far.
>
> With our heavy breathing in traffic, asbestos from motor vehicle
> brakes should be a concern for cyclists.

Don't think so. See:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a716100634~db=all~jumptype=rss

Pads typically used chrysotile, which is not associated with
mesothelioma, the form of asbestos related cancer caused by low-dose
exposure. I know of no case of bystander cancern from brake pads.
Worry about radon in your basement -- or about getting hit by a car or
aspartame. -- Jay Beattie.

I wrote:

>> With our heavy breathing in traffic, asbestos from motor
>> vehicle brakes should be a concern for cyclists.

Jay Beattie replied:

> Don't think so. See:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a716100634~db=all~jumptype=rss

> Pads typically used chrysotile, which is not associated with
> mesothelioma, the form of asbestos related cancer caused by
> low-dose exposure. I know of no case of bystander cancern from
> brake pads. Worry about radon in your basement -- or about
> getting hit by a car or aspartame. -- Jay Beattie.

That's reassuring, thanks.

John

Jay Beattie wrote:
> Don't think so. See:
> http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a716100634~db=all~jumptype=rss
> Pads typically used chrysotile, which is not associated with
> mesothelioma, the form of asbestos related cancer caused by low-dose
> exposure. I know of no case of bystander cancern from brake pads.
> Worry about radon in your basement -- or about getting hit by a car or
> aspartame. -- Jay Beattie.

Wow. I can manage in traffic with cars.
Are Portland cyclists often hit by aspartame?
--

On Oct 6, 2:23 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> The "black" in the black **** all over Seattle bike wheels is almost
> certainly a mixture of pulverized rim and brake pad. But it's the
> result of abrasion, not the cause.

Yup. It's very much like the crud that accumulates on climbing
rope from running across aluminum climbing gear, and which then
accumulates on your palms from handling the rope. Dirt embedded
in the rope fibers increases the abrasion.

Tom Ace

Andrew Muzi mused:

> Jay Beattie wrote:
>> Worry about radon in your basement -- or about getting hit by a car or
>> aspartame.

> Wow. I can manage in traffic with cars.
> Are Portland cyclists often hit by aspartame?

Another reason why we are lucky to live in the upper Midwest - aspartame
hazard free cycling.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.