shimano alivio

GV2013

Jun 6, 2010
Does anyone else have a shimano alivio front derailer on their mountain bike and want to smash it into tiny pieces? Mine is always a pain. Thinking about getting a new one soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

GV2013 said:
Does anyone else have a shimano alivio front derailer on their mountain bike and want to smash it into tiny pieces? Mine is always a pain. Thinking about getting a new one soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are truly having a problem with your Alivio front derailleur, then I suggest you get a Shimano XT (FD-737?) 8-speed front derailleur as the replacement ... check eBay until you find one that is in your price range with the correct specs.

Just remember that MTB front derailleurs come in various configurations -- High clamp vs. Lo clamp, bottom pull vs. top pull (on some, the cable can be attached from either the top or the bottom), bottom swing vs. top swing.

The direction of the derailleur cable pull is the more important spec to be aware of ... most are top pull.

Don't forget to match the clamp size with the one that is currently on your bike -- there are three different sizes + the E-mount ... plus, there was a braze-on mount for the XTR front derailleur.

BTW. If your front derailleur cable is slipping (I can't imagine what other problem you could be having), then you may want to add a small STAR WASHER between the bolt head (in place of the washer) & the derailleur cable. You can get a small "box"/bubble-pack at Home Depot + other hardware-type stores. There are a lot of sizes, so bring the bolt or know the diameter of the specific bolt. If you have a traditional hardware store near you, they may have individual star washers ...

OR, you can try a DIY washer which you would cut from a milk jug cap ... punch a hole in the cap which is large enough for the bolt to pass through ... and then, trim around the hole, etc.

I got it to work a lot better now after messing with it for awhile, it just did not want to cooperate with me. I had it in the bike shop last week and I think the guy actually made it worse. Works much better now. I still think I will get a new one in the near future just to avoid some stressful adjustments. I will have to look into the XT, thanks.

GV2013 said:
I got it to work a lot better now after messing with it for awhile, it just did not want to cooperate with me. I had it in the bike shop last week and I think the guy actually made it worse. Works much better now. I still think I will get a new one in the near future just to avoid some stressful adjustments. I will have to look into the XT, thanks.
Both my girlfriend and I have Alivio FDs on our MTBs and have not had any problems with them. There are several things that you need to check if you are having FD problems. First, the bottom of the outer FD cage plate should clear the teeth on the large chainring by only 1 - 3 mm. Second, the FD should be aligned so that the outer cage plate is parallel to the chain rings. Third, the high and low limit screws need to be adjusted so that they allow sufficient travel of the cage to shift to all the chainrings but to not have so much travel as to push the chain off the inner or outer chainrings. The fourth thing is to check your cable tension. The last item is purely maintenance. Make sure that the FD is clean and lubricated so that it is not binding when you try to shift.

Shimano Alivio groupset is one of my favourite actually, for me it has always performed smoothly and to perfection.

Right on, Chris and KD. Good advice, KD. I never met an Alivio derailleur that wasn't damaged that I couldn't get to work perfectly. When customers break their old Deore 8-speed stuff, I replace it with Alivio. Problems arise when front derailleur is never installed correctly and then somebody with mechanical pretensions tries to make it work by bending the cage. Argh, drives me nuts!

Well, this year Alivio goes 9-speed, so I guess Acera will have to do the job.