shimano altus brake parts

smootz

Sep 1, 2009
I went into the local bike shop yesterday for parts to refresh my old Diamondback mountain bike. Three of the four plastic brake adjusters were broke/missing. The mechanic said he couldn't get the part but really wished that he could. He continued to show me a large box of broken Altus adjusters and several bikes on the floor with the same ailment.

Owning a small machine shop has some advantages. I came home and manufactured my own replacements from aluminum stock. They should be considerably more durable.

My question is: Is there any market for this part if I actually tooled up and made a quantity of them?

Thanks for the advice. This is my first post and I hope I havn't put this in the wrong spot.

SCOTTIE

smootz said:
I went into the local bike shop yesterday for parts to refresh my old Diamondback mountain bike. Three of the four plastic brake adjusters were broke/missing. The mechanic said he couldn't get the part but really wished that he could. He continued to show me a large box of broken Altus adjusters and several bikes on the floor with the same ailment.

Owning a small machine shop has some advantages. I came home and manufactured my own replacements from aluminum stock. They should be considerably more durable.

My question is: Is there any market for this part if I actually tooled up and made a quantity of them?

Thanks for the advice. This is my first post and I hope I havn't put this in the wrong spot.

SCOTTIE

I would think the time and material to make these would cost more than a new brake. Some really nice cantis can be had for $20 per end, like Tektro.

smootz said:

SCOTTIE

I would buy four of them today if they were available! Have any extras laying around?

I am looking for the same thing. I would think there would be a market. Let me know if you start making them.

smootz said:

SCOTTIE

It would require several of these to make it worth procuring the raw material and setting up the machine. It is probably cost prohibitive on a "onesy - twosy" basis.

On another note, the ones I made from shop scrap are performing great.

SCOTTIE

smootz said:

SCOTTIE

I have a Shimano bike , with Altus BR-C90-M Cantilever, Brakes
They are mounted on a post, which is welded to the frame. The return coil spring is mounted inside a cover which is a type of plastic. These pieces are about 22 mm in diameter, and 12 mm high. 3 of the four are cracked and have a ty-wrap around them to keep it together. I am thinking that this is what you are talking about. I have been searching to find some place to get just these pieces. Two of them have adjustment screws, and the other two are just round.

Limelad

Not sure which part is being referred to, but Shimano Altus V-brakes and cantilever brakes list at around $8-$9 (US$) on line around here. This is for a single brake (i.e. front or rear and no lever).

Limelad said:
I have a Shimano bike , with Altus BR-C90-M Cantilever, Brakes
They are mounted on a post, which is welded to the frame. The return coil spring is mounted inside a cover which is a type of plastic. These pieces are about 22 mm in diameter, and 12 mm high. 3 of the four are cracked and have a ty-wrap around them to keep it together. I am thinking that this is what you are talking about. I have been searching to find some place to get just these pieces. Two of them have adjustment screws, and the other two are just round.
moz-screenshot-2.png
moz-screenshot-3.png
View attachment 11145
Limelad
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png