shimano assistance please?

Ianb

Guest
As you ,ay have noticed in other threads/responses of mine, I have a fixed wheel set-up to
refurbish. My current problem is the chainwheel. As single chain wheels seem as rare as crocodiles
in the River Lee the obvious solution is to use a redundant spider and fit an appropriate single
ring. There's the problem. I have a redundant shimano 26/36/46. Model unknown but crank marked
FC-A413. The rings appear to be held by bolts which accept approx 7mm allen key. However that will
not shift any of them. Before I get really vicious with them am I approaching this correctly? I do
not want to hit these bolts hard only to find they are not really bolts and that I should have
undone something else (i.e. done something with the slots inside the middle ring). Can anyone advise
me please? If all else fails, it looks like I will just have to fit this 26/36/46 (which will look a
bit silly on a fixed).
--
IanB

n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large newsgroups so I may be running a few days
behind on reading threads). You may need to zzremove snooze mode to reply direct

IanB wrote: The rings appear to be held by bolts
> which accept approx 7mm allen key. However that will not

What happens ? Do the bolts rotate and not loosen ? I so yo need to hold the nut on the back. There
is a tool available especially for this, like a thin screw driver with a slot in the middle. Another
tool has the same blade but is bent through 90 degrees rather like one of those blanks in the back
of a PC. Wiggle has one for four or five pounds. I have always fancied one of these but never really
needed one.

Is the bolt stuck fast and you are in danger of rounding the allen key fitting ?

The inside ring is fixed with a blind threaded hole in the crank spider, no nut.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

In message <[email protected]>, IanB
<[email protected]> writes
> As you ,ay have noticed in other threads/responses of mine, I have a fixed wheel set-up to
> refurbish. My current problem is the chainwheel. As single chain wheels seem as rare as
> crocodiles in the River Lee the obvious solution is to use a redundant spider and fit an
> appropriate single ring.

You can actually get them from both Condor and Cycle Surgery, either Dura Ace for those with deep
wallets, or from Miche, which are more than adequate and quite cheap to boot. An entire groupset
IIRC came in at 250 quid.

> There's the problem. I have a redundant shimano 26/36/46. Model unknown but crank marked FC-A413.

That would be RSX :)

> The rings appear to be held by bolts which accept approx 7mm allen key. However that will not
> shift any of them. Before I get really vicious with them am I approaching this correctly? I do
> not want to hit these bolts hard only to find they are not really bolts and that I should have
> undone something else (i.e. done something with the slots inside the middle ring). Can anyone
> advise me please?

Usually (and I think with these cranks although I've not seen a pair for a while) you need to undo
the bolts with an allen key on the outside and a chainring bolt tool on the inside (Or big
screwdriver) although you can usually get them started just with an allen key). The small ring is
held by bolts threaded into the crank spider and so just need the allen key loosened.

Try a bit of GT-85 or similar to loosen them up, if not wing it into your LBS who should be able to
get the bolts started for you.

HTH

--
Thomas Letherby Remove NOSPAM to reply.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> IanB wrote: The rings appear to be held by bolts
> > which accept approx 7mm allen key. However that will not
>

> What happens ? Do the bolts rotate and not loosen ? I so yo need to hold
the
> nut on the back. There is a tool available especially for this, like a
thin
> screw driver with a slot in the middle. Another tool has the same blade
but
> is bent through 90 degrees rather like one of those blanks in the back of
> PC. Wiggle has one for four or five pounds. I have always fancied one of these but never really
> needed one.

Settle has one for three :)

I've used it, helped a bit.

If you're on rotating bolts, you could always sacrifice them with a drill. The crank hole is 10mm.

cheers, clive

"Thomas Letherby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>,
IanB
> <[email protected]> writes
> > As you ,ay have noticed in other threads/responses of mine, I have a fixed wheel set-up to
> > refurbish. My
current
> >problem is the chainwheel. As single chain wheels seem
as
> >rare as crocodiles in the River Lee the obvious solution
is
> >to use a redundant spider and fit an appropriate single ring.
>
> You can actually get them from both Condor and Cycle
Surgery, either
> Dura Ace for those with deep wallets, or from Miche, which
are more than
> adequate and quite cheap to boot. An entire groupset IIRC
came in at 250
> quid.
>
> > There's the problem. I have a redundant shimano 26/36/46. Model unknown
but
> >crank marked FC-A413.
>
> That would be RSX :)
>
> > The rings appear to be held by bolts which accept approx 7mm allen key. However that will
not
> >shift any of them. Before I get really vicious with
them
> >am I approaching this correctly? I do not want to hit these bolts hard only to find they are not
> >really bolts
and
> >that I should have undone something else (i.e. done something with the slots inside the middle
> >ring). Can anyone advise me please?
>
> Usually (and I think with these cranks although I've not
seen a pair for
> a while) you need to undo the bolts with an allen key on
the outside and
> a chainring bolt tool on the inside (Or big screwdriver)
although you
> can usually get them started just with an allen key). The
small ring is
> held by bolts threaded into the crank spider and so just
need the allen
> key loosened.
>
> Try a bit of GT-85 or similar to loosen them up, if not
wing it into
> your LBS who should be able to get the bolts started for
you.

> HTH
>
> --
> Thomas Letherby Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Thanks for feedback, looks like it is as I expected (by the way the allen key feels a loose fit
and liable to "round off" before bolt moves). Will try for best fit , some GT85 or easing oil and
then add a stilson to the equation. Failing that, grovel to the LBS when I try to buy the
replacement ring etc.

IanB