Shimano Bar-End Shifters and SRAM DualDrive??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NYC XYZ, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Say, didn't Peter Clinch say his girl Roos had this set-up on her Nazca
    Fiero??

    How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

    Tags:

  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Say, didn't Peter Clinch say his girl Roos had this set-up on her Nazca
    > Fiero??
    >
    > How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

    You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
    the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
    how much the hubs like it.

  3. Kurt Fischer

    Kurt Fischer Guest

    Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > NYC XYZ wrote:

    > > How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

    > You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
    > the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
    > how much the hubs like it.

    It's been working very well for several years on my trike with Sachs 3x
    - without any modifications to the shifters. I don't know if the hub
    likes it, but no complaints till now.

    Only problem I've experienced so far is some accidental shifting while
    my hands were resting on the shifters - the most comfortable position
    for me on my trike with under seat steering.

    Kurt

  4. Kurt Fischer

    Kurt Fischer Guest

    Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > NYC XYZ wrote:

    > > How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

    > You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
    > the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
    > how much the hubs like it.

    It's been working very well for several years on my trike with Sachs 3x7
    - without any modifications to the shifters. I don't know if the hub
    likes it, but no complaints till now.

    Only problem I've experienced so far is some accidental shifting while
    my hands were resting on the shifters - the most comfortable position
    for me on my trike with under seat steering.

    Kurt

  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ah, so it *is* possible! No bike mechanic seems to know how, however.

    Any plans or blueprints? I love Grip Shifts on DFs, but not their
    vertical disposition as employed on 'bents. But the SRAM DualDrive
    sounds like an overall superior drivetrain...? Though Shimano XT cost
    more for some reason...!

    Kurt Fischer wrote:
    > Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > NYC XYZ wrote:

    > > > How's that possible -- or did I misunderstand?

    > > You have to work out your own way of pulling the cable shifting the hub
    > > the right amount. I have no idea how well this can actually work and
    > > how much the hubs like it.

    > It's been working very well for several years on my trike with Sachs 3x7
    > - without any modifications to the shifters. I don't know if the hub
    > likes it, but no complaints till now.
    >
    > Only problem I've experienced so far is some accidental shifting while
    > my hands were resting on the shifters - the most comfortable position
    > for me on my trike with under seat steering.
    >
    > Kurt

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Ah, so it *is* possible! No bike mechanic seems to know how, however.

    Nazca (www.nazca-ligfietsen.nl) supply bar ends as a standard on their
    underseat DualDrive machines, so maybe get in touch with them.

    The left changer for the hub has been hacked slightly so there is a
    click notch. Apparently if it isn't in the right place you'll cause
    excessive wear on the hub. Or something else that's a Bit Naughty.
    Roos' Fiero has this setup, it works very well.

    > vertical disposition as employed on 'bents. But the SRAM DualDrive
    > sounds like an overall superior drivetrain...?

    Depends what you want. Compared to XT it's better in town as you can
    change stood still. The front of the bike is cleaner with no
    derailleur, and no need to route cables up the boom. Also less chain
    wear, and no worries about using "wrong" gears when on big or small
    front rings.
    But it's less efficient than a pure derailleur and there's more rolling
    resistance freesheeling with a hub gear, and it's bigger faff taking the
    rear wheel out.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    WTF is up with Nazca's site -- up half the time, down half the time!
    Ever since I first started getting the slightest glint of interest in
    recumbent bicycling almost a year ago, this company's webpages have
    been on-again/off-again.

    As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
    one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the guy
    that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can imagine
    a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
    expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
    having to do with disc brakes...?

    Might as well go Rohloff for those prices! But it was interesting to
    know they'd figured it out somehow. =)

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    > > Ah, so it *is* possible! No bike mechanic seems to know how, however.

    > Nazca (www.nazca-ligfietsen.nl) supply bar ends as a standard on their
    > underseat DualDrive machines, so maybe get in touch with them.
    >
    > The left changer for the hub has been hacked slightly so there is a
    > click notch. Apparently if it isn't in the right place you'll cause
    > excessive wear on the hub. Or something else that's a Bit Naughty.
    > Roos' Fiero has this setup, it works very well.
    >
    > > vertical disposition as employed on 'bents. But the SRAM DualDrive
    > > sounds like an overall superior drivetrain...?

    > Depends what you want. Compared to XT it's better in town as you can
    > change stood still. The front of the bike is cleaner with no
    > derailleur, and no need to route cables up the boom. Also less chain
    > wear, and no worries about using "wrong" gears when on big or small
    > front rings.
    > But it's less efficient than a pure derailleur and there's more rolling
    > resistance freesheeling with a hub gear, and it's bigger faff taking the
    > rear wheel out.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
    > one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the guy
    > that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can imagine
    > a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
    > expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
    > having to do with disc brakes...?

    It's a standard option from Nazca, as are disc specific or non disc
    specific wheels. And Nazcas are cheaper than HPVels.

    > Might as well go Rohloff for those prices! But it was interesting to
    > know they'd figured it out somehow. =)

    Since it's a standard option on their USS bikes, I think they've
    figured it out a lot better than the chaps you mention above!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  9. Nigel Cliffe

    Nigel Cliffe Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >
    >> As for bar-end shifters and DualDrive, well, Hostel Shoppe (probably
    >> one of the two highest-rated US 'bent dealers, the other being the
    >> guy that also does projectmobility.org) wrote saying that they can
    >> imagine a way to incorporate the two, but it'll be time-consuming and
    >> expensive, involving a new set of wheels for some reason apparently
    >> having to do with disc brakes...?

    > It's a standard option from Nazca, as are disc specific or non disc
    > specific wheels. And Nazcas are cheaper than HPVels.

    Might be differences in availability of parts in different continents,
    resulting in having totally different levels of familiarity with the parts.

    I get the impression (from places like Sheldon Brown's website) that hub
    gears and dual-drive gears are rare in the USA, whereas they are regularly
    fitted to normal upright bikes in Germany and the Netherlands.

    As the latter two are home to many of Europe's recumbent designers, they
    would have access to the bits and pieces.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Nigel Cliffe wrote:

    > Might be differences in availability of parts in different continents,
    > resulting in having totally different levels of familiarity with the parts.

    Up to a point, but there again if the hack Nazca have worked out
    was /that/ obvious then everyone would be doing it, but if you get
    a DualDrive from HPVel or Optima (and I assume others) with
    underseat bars then you get the standard DD twistgrip which isn't
    as easy as you'd like to use becasue the business end is at the
    heel of your hand rather than between thumb and forefinger.

    So I'm inclined to think it's (a) quite a clever little hack, but
    further the case that (b) once they'd worked it out it doesn't cost
    them that much to implement. I don't know what's been done aside
    from some sort of index notch at the Magic Spot, but it works very
    nicely and much better than the standard control applied
    upside-down on an underseat bar.

    Pete.