Shimano BB Question..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kb, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Kb

    Kb Guest

    With regards to the new splined Shimno BB's...

    I recently took delivery of a new steel frameset from a well known framebuilder. I had them install
    an Ultegra 9 speed BB for me. When I spin the bottom bracket by hand, it spins smoothly, ubt with a
    good amount of resistance. Nothing like the free turning ball bearing cup BB's from the early 90's.
    I have another bike with the same model bb, and a DA crankset installed. I never got to turn that BB
    by hand (shop installed the BB and crank at the same time), but when I spon the crank without a
    chain on it, I notice similar results, spins smooth, but with enough resistance that it stops fairly
    quickly. Is this normal for these? Do they need to be worked in? Seems to be an aweful lot of
    resistance. Are these BB's pretty much 'plug and play', or is there adjustment for this??

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I had them install an Ultegra 9 speed BB for me. When I spin the bottom bracket by hand, it spins
    smoothly, ubt with a good amount of resistance. Nothing like the free turning ball bearing cup BB's
    from the early 90's. Is this normal for these? Do they need to be worked in? Seems to be an aweful
    lot of resistance. Are these BB's pretty much 'plug and play', or is there adjustment for this? >>

    The Ultegra 6500 BB is a sealed unit. The reistance can't be adjusted. You install it and forget it
    until it wears out and then you throw it away and buy another one. The drag from the sealed
    bearings is not perceptible when you are riding. The Dura Ace 7700 BB is smoother and more
    adjustable. However, some people say that it is trickier to install, and that water gets trapped
    inside it easily.

  3. KB-<< I had them install an Ultegra 9 speed BB for me. When I spin the bottom bracket by hand, it
    spins smoothly, ubt with a good amount of resistance. Nothing like the free turning ball bearing cup
    BB's from the early 90's.

    yep-

    << I never got to turn that BB by hand (shop installed the BB and crank at the same time), but when
    I spon the crank without a chain on it, I notice similar results, spins smooth, but with enough
    resistance that it stops fairly quickly. Is this normal for these?

    yes and yes. Lots of seal drag makes these pretty sluggish...

    << Are these BB's pretty much 'plug and play', or is there adjustment for this??

    Still need to have the BB shell prepped/faced but install/use/throw away.

  4. Kb

    Kb Guest

    Peter,

    When you are dealing with a customer, which BB do you recommend between the DA and Ultegra? Is the
    Dura Ace much smoother? Do you consider the DA more problematic? I don't often ride in rain, and I
    don't mind paying a shop to adjust the BB a couple of times per season if needed (My season is only
    about 6-7 months long.......damn snow...). Thanks.