Shimano bottom bracket assembly problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bike attorney, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. I am investigating a case against Shimano American Corporation and a
    local bike shop here in California. My client suffered a fractured
    shoulder when a new bike with a Shimano bottom bracket (105 BB-5500)
    was improperly assembled. (The bottom bracket was apparently tightened
    down without the splines properly seating in the interlocking fashion.
    When the client took off for his first ride, the crank broke free and
    rotated loosely, causing him to fall sideways.)

    Have you heard of a similar case, or of warnings from Shimano or any
    safety organization related to such assembly problems?

    Shimano American just answered interrogatories claiming that only the
    parent company in Japan, Shimano, Inc, knows anything about design and
    manufacture, or has relevant documents. Do you know of a California
    attorney or expert witness who has been involved with claims against
    Shimano?

    Any advice or input would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. me

    me Guest

    "Bike attorney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am investigating a case against Shimano American Corporation and a
    > local bike shop here in California. My client suffered a fractured
    > shoulder when a new bike with a Shimano bottom bracket (105 BB-5500)
    > was improperly assembled. (The bottom bracket was apparently tightened
    > down without the splines properly seating in the interlocking fashion.
    > When the client took off for his first ride, the crank broke free and
    > rotated loosely, causing him to fall sideways.)
    >
    > Have you heard of a similar case, or of warnings from Shimano or any
    > safety organization related to such assembly problems?
    >
    > Shimano American just answered interrogatories claiming that only the
    > parent company in Japan, Shimano, Inc, knows anything about design and
    > manufacture, or has relevant documents. Do you know of a California
    > attorney or expert witness who has been involved with claims against
    > Shimano?
    >
    > Any advice or input would be appreciated.

    RTFM

  3. Bike attorney wrote:

    > I am investigating a case against Shimano American Corporation and a
    > local bike shop here in California. My client suffered a fractured
    > shoulder when a new bike with a Shimano bottom bracket (105 BB-5500)
    > was improperly assembled. (The bottom bracket was apparently tightened
    > down without the splines properly seating in the interlocking fashion.
    > When the client took off for his first ride, the crank broke free and
    > rotated loosely, causing him to fall sideways.)
    >
    > Have you heard of a similar case, or of warnings from Shimano or any
    > safety organization related to such assembly problems?
    >
    > Shimano American just answered interrogatories claiming that only the
    > parent company in Japan, Shimano, Inc, knows anything about design and
    > manufacture, or has relevant documents. Do you know of a California
    > attorney or expert witness who has been involved with claims against
    > Shimano?
    >
    > Any advice or input would be appreciated.

    The crank would have been standing noticeably proud if the splines
    weren't engaged. An elementary error, but as far as I can see it's the
    assembler of the bike that is at fault, not Shimano. These things are
    not difficult to install.

  4. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > The crank would have been standing noticeably proud if the splines
    > weren't engaged. An elementary error, but as far as I can see it's the
    > assembler of the bike that is at fault, not Shimano. These things are
    > not difficult to install.

    The reason he didn't mention the shop owner is because suing him and
    his mechanics is already a given. Now they are looking for anybody else
    that might be even slightly related to the accident, the bigger the
    company the better. There is a big chance that after the company is
    served they will settle out of court, never see a jury. This means more
    money for the lawyer and a little for the client, higher prices for you
    and I.

    -Nate

  5. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    Back in the day, this ambulance chaser would have been refered straight
    away to expert witness, Bob Goatse.

  6. richard

    richard Guest

    RTFM indeed! To hold a manufacturer responsible for what someone does
    WRONG with it once it leaves the factory...

    This reminds me, though, of an ISIS BB I bought from Nashbar. The
    "Instruction sheet" consisted of a single sentence telling you to go
    have a mechanic put it in for you.

  7. Adam Rush wrote:

    > Back in the day, this ambulance chaser would have been refered straight
    > away to expert witness, Bob Goatse.

    I don't think that site is up any more, but it's spawned hundreds of
    mirrors. Eeeuuuuuwww.

  8. Adam Rush

    Adam Rush Guest

    The Christmas Island registrar caught wind of the fact that it was the
    only .cx site anybody knew about, so they changed their TOS to boot it.