Shimano bottom bracket help sought

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Morning all

    I have a Shimano Dure Ace double chainset - probably about 5/6 years old
    which has a sealed bottom bracket with the old square splined (old
    fashioned/traditional) way of anchoring the cranks via a pressure fit.
    Its started making noises and I decided to replace it.

    Having removed it from the frame it would appear to be a 68mm and only
    about 102mm wide (very narrow). It has a Shimano reference of BB-7410

    I popped down my local (reasonably comprehensive) bike shop and it would
    appear that there is no longer any form of replacement available -
    neither 105/600 et al. The main sticking point being the very narrow
    width of the bracket.

    Just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas - are there any third
    party solutions.

    Otherwise my only solution would appear to be to purchase a new chainset
    and BB and this will set me back about £240 (ouch)

    TIA

    Cheers

    Alan

    Tags:

  2. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Morning all
    >
    > I have a Shimano Dure Ace double chainset - probably about 5/6 years old
    > which has a sealed bottom bracket with the old square splined (old
    > fashioned/traditional) way of anchoring the cranks via a pressure fit.
    > Its started making noises and I decided to replace it.
    >
    > Having removed it from the frame it would appear to be a 68mm and only
    > about 102mm wide (very narrow). It has a Shimano reference of BB-7410
    >
    > I popped down my local (reasonably comprehensive) bike shop and it would
    > appear that there is no longer any form of replacement available -
    > neither 105/600 et al. The main sticking point being the very narrow
    > width of the bracket.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas - are there any third
    > party solutions.
    >
    > Otherwise my only solution would appear to be to purchase a new chainset
    > and BB and this will set me back about £240 (ouch)
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Alan

    Try here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=156
    Not sure if it's the right one, but the dimensions you gave may not be
    exact?

    --
    Brian G

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  4. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Brian G wrote:
    >

    >> Try here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=156
    >> Not sure if it's the right one, but the dimensions you gave may not be
    >> exact?
    >>

    > If you get that one make sure the frame is Italian and not English. The
    > differences can be found at http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

    OK, I nominate me for dickhead of the week. I didn't even look at the
    thread size, just found a BB of the right code no. with an
    approximately close length. It was quite early in the morning :-(

    --
    Brian G

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> Brian G wrote:
    >>

    >>> Try here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=156
    >>> Not sure if it's the right one, but the dimensions you gave may not
    >>> be exact?
    >>>

    >> If you get that one make sure the frame is Italian and not English.
    >> The differences can be found at
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

    > OK, I nominate me for dickhead of the week.

    Not necessarily. Italian bikes are sold over here. However I will
    agree the number of Italian bikes sold with S*****o groupsets must be
    vanishingly small ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Thanks for the links guys - am I right in assuming that Campag and
    > Shimano are compatable.

    No!

    Shimano and Campagnola use different tapers, so they are not compatible.

    Tom

  7. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Brian G wrote:
    > > Tony Raven wrote:

    > >> If you get that one make sure the frame is Italian and not English.
    > >> The differences can be found at
    > >> http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom

    > > OK, I nominate me for dickhead of the week.

    > Not necessarily.

    This might actually work as on the Dura Ace axle the RH cup is a
    pressfit. I think you could remove the axleunit and use the threaded
    bits from your existing axle.

    Campagnolo, TA and Stronglight do 103 mm axles, but they will have ISO
    squares, instead of the JIS you want.

    Otherwise try KSS, Phil Wood or Royce

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Thanks for the links guys - am I right in assuming that Campag and
    >>Shimano are compatable.
    >>

    > No!
    >
    > Shimano and Campagnola use different tapers, so they are not compatible.
    >
    > Tom

    True, sorry. You could always buy a gorgeous Phil Woods BB of Sheldon
    for just $99 though.
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1384

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  9. "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Having removed it from the frame it would appear to be a 68mm
    > and only about 102mm wide (very narrow). It has a Shimano
    > reference of BB-7410

    That's 103mm: the shortest square taper bottom bracket Shimano ever made.
    It was only required for the DA 7410 cranks. The originals are fairly
    scarce.

    I've used an FSA Ultimax. There's a steel model:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...cle&CategoryName=&ProdID=5110000126&UberCat=0

    http://tinyurl.com/75rlm

    or a titanium one:

    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info_210-2203-2216.html

    They have replaceable cartridge bearings. You need the JIS taper.

    The fact that your bottom bracket shell measures 68mm means that you almost
    certainly have a British thread. If you buy the Italian model that somebody
    linked to, you *may* be able to press the cartridge unit out of the
    mounting cups and use your current cups to mount the cartridge - but I
    haven't tried to do that with this model.

    James Thomson

  10. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > OK, I nominate me for dickhead of the week.

    > Not necessarily. Italian bikes are sold over here. However I will
    > agree the number of Italian bikes sold with S*****o groupsets must
    > be vanishingly small ;-)

    40 years in the trade and I have never seen an Italian threaded BB!

    I did see in the current Acorn catalogue that the other BB's were
    threaded BSA - ah nostalgia.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Sandy Morton wrote:

    > 40 years in the trade and I have never seen an Italian threaded BB!

    You just used too big a spanner to notice ;-)

    (I've known people successfully fit the right cup on the left and vice
    versa with a big spanner plus brute force and ignorance)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  12. mb

    mb Guest

    says...

    > Not necessarily. Italian bikes are sold over here. However I will
    > agree the number of Italian bikes sold with S*****o groupsets must be
    > vanishingly small ;-)

    =:-o are you sure? I've got 2 in the shed...

    --
    Mike

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    mb wrote:
    > says...
    >

    >>Not necessarily. Italian bikes are sold over here. However I will
    >>agree the number of Italian bikes sold with S*****o groupsets must be
    >>vanishingly small ;-)
    >>

    > =:-o are you sure? I've got 2 in the shed...

    Expect a visit from the Campag mafia with a pair of concrete
    overshoes..... The Italians get passionate about such matters ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  14. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > mb wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > > says...
    > >

    > >>Not necessarily. Italian bikes are sold over here. However I will
    > >>agree the number of Italian bikes sold with S*****o groupsets must be
    > >>vanishingly small ;-)
    > >>

    > > =:-o are you sure? I've got 2 in the shed...
    > >

    > Expect a visit from the Campag mafia with a pair of concrete
    > overshoes..... The Italians get passionate about such matters ;-)

    Don't worry. Just drop "did you know Shimano has a factory in Italy"
    early in the conversation and they are off like a shot.

    --
    ---