sure the bearings are on their way out. I borrowed a Shimano splined
removal tool and had a go on the non-chain side, making sure I was
turning anti-clockwise. The ring the spline tool fits into is made of
plastic and with amount of pressure I applied unfortunately its
sheared of the teeth (of the ring) and lip around the outside has
broken. What chance have I got of getting it out now and how should I
do it ?

TIA

On 2008-02-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi - First time poster to this group. I've been attempting to remove
> the bottom bracket from my Claude Butler commuter bike as I'm pretty
> sure the bearings are on their way out. I borrowed a Shimano splined
> removal tool and had a go on the non-chain side, making sure I was
> turning anti-clockwise. The ring the spline tool fits into is made of
> plastic and with amount of pressure I applied unfortunately its
> sheared of the teeth (of the ring) and lip around the outside has
> broken. What chance have I got of getting it out now and how should I
> do it ?

It's only made of plastic, you might be able to chisel it out without
damaging the threads.

Or just leave it in and re-use it. The BB will come out together with
the other "cup". But since the lip is broken you might want to get it
out.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi - First time poster to this group. I've been attempting to remove
> the bottom bracket from my Claude Butler commuter bike as I'm pretty
> sure the bearings are on their way out. I borrowed a Shimano splined
> removal tool and had a go on the non-chain side, making sure I was
> turning anti-clockwise. The ring the spline tool fits into is made of
> plastic and with amount of pressure I applied unfortunately its
> sheared of the teeth (of the ring) and lip around the outside has
> broken. What chance have I got of getting it out now and how should I
> do it ?

It may be corroded in place. Did you remove the rest of it from the
steel-spline side? Better tools bolt to the spindle so they can't slip,
but even then corrosion takes a toll.
No, not corrosion of the nylon, the steel BB shell. Metals are denser
than oxides of metals.

Once you are able to remove the rest of it, the plastic ring is easily
cracked for removal. Get a bolt-in-place version of that tool if the
other side is hard to move, use a 30" wrench or mount the tool in a vise
and turn the frame.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 18 Feb, 22:17, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi - First time poster to this group. I've been attempting to remove
> > the bottom bracket from my Claude Butler commuter bike as I'm pretty
> > sure the bearings are on their way out. I borrowed a Shimano splined
> > removal tool and had a go on the non-chain side, making sure I was
> > turning anti-clockwise. The ring the spline tool fits into is made of
> > plastic and with amount of pressure I applied unfortunately its
> > sheared of the teeth (of the ring) and lip around the outside has
> > broken. What chance have I got of getting it out now and how should I
> > do it ?

> It may be corroded in place. Did you remove the rest of it from the
> steel-spline side? Better tools bolt to the spindle so they can't slip,
> but even then corrosion takes a toll.
> No, not corrosion of the nylon, the steel BB shell. Metals are denser
> than oxides of metals.
>
> Once you are able to remove the rest of it, the plastic ring is easily
> cracked for removal. Get a bolt-in-place version of that tool if the
> other side is hard to move, use a 30" wrench or mount the tool in a vise
> and turn the frame.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the replies. Managed to get the drive side ring off and
then gently weakened the other side using a hacksaw blade. A bit a
proding with a flat bladed screwdriver and it cracked enough to be
able to remove with some pliers. Waiting for a replacement to be
delivered to get me back on two wheels again.