Shimano bought my derailleur on eBay!

Doug Cook

Guest
I'm upgrading to Dura Ace 10 and bought a front derailleur
on eBay. I didn't read the description close enough and
ended up with a clamp size that was too small. So, when I
received it, I relisted the thing for sale. When the auction
ended, the high bidder paid via paypal, and I started typing
in the shipping info. The buyer's email address (which I
hadn't noticed before) was <name>@shimano.com! ( buyer's
name deleted to protect privacy)

I've heard they patrol ebay and other online sales to
enforce merchandising agreements, but I figured they'd be a
little more discreet about it!

Originally posted by Doug Cook
I've heard they patrol ebay and other online sales to
enforce merchandising agreements, but I figured they'd be a
little more discreet about it!

Just curious, what do you mean they "patrol ebay and other online sales to enforce merchandising agreements"?

There's nothing wrong with selling parts online is there?

Dan.

"BanditManDan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Doug Cook wrote:
> > I've heard they patrol ebay and other online sales to
> > enforce merchandising agreements, but I figured they'd
> > be a little more discreet about it!
>

> Just curious, what do you mean they "patrol ebay and other
> online sales to enforce merchandising agreements"?
>
> There's nothing wrong with selling parts online is there?
>
> Dan.

Nothing wrong with it at all... unless you're a
distributor/dealer who has made specific agreements with
Shimano not to do so. I suspect they are also on the lookout
for grey market goods as well. An LBS once told me that Trek
has two full-time employees that do nothing but search
online and classifieds to find people breaking agreements.
That sounds a bit much to me, but then I have no idea how
much of a problem it is for them.

"Doug Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "BanditManDan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Doug Cook wrote:
> > > I've heard they patrol ebay and other online sales
> > > to enforce merchandising agreements, but I figured
> > > they'd be a little more discreet about it!
> >

> > Just curious, what do you mean they "patrol ebay and
> > other online sales to enforce merchandising agreements"?
> >
> > There's nothing wrong with selling parts online is
> > there?
> >
> > Dan.
> >

> Nothing wrong with it at all... unless you're a
> distributor/dealer who has made specific agreements with
> Shimano not to do so. I suspect they are
also
> on the lookout for grey market goods as well. An LBS once
> told me that
Trek
> has two full-time employees that do nothing but search
> online and classifieds to find people breaking agreements.
> That sounds a bit much to me, but then I have no idea how
> much of a problem it is for them.

Then couldn't a dealer just open a personal account and
list anything they want without ever revealing their
business name?

Dave

On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:06:49 -0500, "Pistof" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Then couldn't a dealer just open a personal account and
>list anything they want without ever revealing their
>business name?

Dealers and wannabe dealers can usually be outed. To start
with, the items would have to be listed as something along
the lines of, "new, in box" for the dealer to be able to
make enough to make it worth while. Slightly used equipment
or items pieced out from the normal set wouldn't draw much
attention.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...