Shimano BR-6500 parts availability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sansabar, Dec 23, 2006.

1. sansabar

sansabar New Member

I am swapping out frames and have decided to keep the fork on the new frame. It is about 3/8" deeper and will not allow for a direct swap of my Shimano 6500 brakes as the attaching bolt and barrel nut are too short. Can I get another barrel bolt that is longer? Or what might another solution be?

Tags:

2. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

No problem. What you are looking for is called a "brake nut". They come in different lengths. I bought a new 105 brake caliper this summer and I think that it came with four nuts of differing lengths. If you lived in St Louis I'd give you one.

3. sansabar

sansabar New Member

Thanks. Now I know what to call what I'm looking for. I thought that I had some of different lengths from my collected assorted parts but no luck. Thanks for the info.

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

As Retro said should be a standard item. Almost any LBS should have a selection. If worse comes to worse you can always order one from some place like:
    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Brake&sc=Recessed Nuts&id=64245045395

but you should be able to get them locally without any problem.

5. sansabar

sansabar New Member

Got one ordered last night. We only have one cycle shop in town and parts are hit and miss - with the hits being much more than they are worth. Guess I won't be riding with the new frame for a few days.