Shimano BR-6500 parts availability

sansabar

Jul 19, 2005
I am swapping out frames and have decided to keep the fork on the new frame. It is about 3/8" deeper and will not allow for a direct swap of my Shimano 6500 brakes as the attaching bolt and barrel nut are too short. Can I get another barrel bolt that is longer? Or what might another solution be?

sansabar said:
I am swapping out frames and have decided to keep the fork on the new frame. It is about 3/8" deeper and will not allow for a direct swap of my Shimano 6500 brakes as the attaching bolt and barrel nut are too short. Can I get another barrel bolt that is longer? Or what might another solution be?
No problem. What you are looking for is called a "brake nut". They come in different lengths. I bought a new 105 brake caliper this summer and I think that it came with four nuts of differing lengths. If you lived in St Louis I'd give you one.

Retro Grouch said:
No problem. What you are looking for is called a "brake nut". They come in different lengths. I bought a new 105 brake caliper this summer and I think that it came with four nuts of differing lengths. If you lived in St Louis I'd give you one.
Thanks. Now I know what to call what I'm looking for. I thought that I had some of different lengths from my collected assorted parts but no luck. Thanks for the info.

sansabar said:
Thanks. Now I know what to call what I'm looking for. I thought that I had some of different lengths from my collected assorted parts but no luck. Thanks for the info.
As Retro said should be a standard item. Almost any LBS should have a selection. If worse comes to worse you can always order one from some place like:
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Brake&sc=Recessed Nuts&id=64245045395

but you should be able to get them locally without any problem.

serenaslu said:
As Retro said should be a standard item. Almost any LBS should have a selection. If worse comes to worse you can always order one from some place like:
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?c=Brake&sc=Recessed Nuts&id=64245045395

but you should be able to get them locally without any problem.
Got one ordered last night. We only have one cycle shop in town and parts are hit and miss - with the hits being much more than they are worth. Guess I won't be riding with the new frame for a few days.