Shimano brake cable recall

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:33:01 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Thanks for the note, Mike. BTW, on an unrelated note, I recently
>> picked up a Trek road bike and noticed after I got it home that the
>> handlebar tape was not applied evenly, and there was a 1/4" gap at the
>> bend where you can see the metal bar.

>Sometimes the bar tape isn't wrapped tightly enough (or the tape stretches a
>bit too much) and can slip a bit, opening up gaps like you're seeing. It
>shouldn't take much to fix it (the tape needs to be unwrapped to that point
>and then rewrapped). We spot this happening on 30 day checks and usually
>take care of it before the customer has even noticed. I can't imagine anyone
>charging for that on a relatively-new bike. Just mention it to them when you
>bring it back in for the check-up.
>
>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks, Mike, if I wasn't a bit of a klutz I'd re-wrap it myself...
;-)

BTW this 1000 is an amazing ride right out of the box. I had to get a
slightly taller stem, but everything else, from saddle to tires is
perfect; just as you suggested once they put together a good package.
I had them swap out the cages for Shimano 520 clipless, of course.
Very light and responsive handling, nice geometry. At 5'9" 32-33"
inseam a 56 fits me just perfectly, apparently.

The '05, when you consider with the carbon fork and the tiagra der, I
wouldn't even say it was a bottom-of-the-line bike anymore. Trek has
done a great job on this bike for under $600!

jj

> Perhaps you can put on your web page a link to the above shimano-eu.com
> PDF file, in addition to your enlarged pictures and explanations?

Just added it to the first paragraph on that page. Curiously, we had a
Shimano rep in the store today, and that was the first time he'd seen the
better "euro" info as well. All they'd sent him was the text-only piece that
really didn't tell you a whole lot.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

>>I'd take it back, and ask to let me watch and learn how to wrap (or
>>re-wrap)
>>a bar. They should appreciate your zeal for the sport and interest in
>>becoming "self sufficient" down the road.

> Some kinds of tape are to fragile to re-wrap. You need to replace the
> tape.

Handlebar tape can generally be salvaged, if you remove it correctly. The
trick is to remove it by pulling tangentially (in a straight line from where
it exits the bar, so the tape isn't bending at all). This will typically
remove it without any tearing, even when the adhesive is pretty strong.