Shimano brake cable recall

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Shimano announces recall of road bike brake cables that could fail (a very
    dangerous situation)-

    We received a semi-cryptic recall notice from Shimano regarding brake cables
    the other day, and have put together a page that hopefully explains it
    (along with photos so you can identify good & bad). It may be found at

    www.ChainReaction.com/recallshimanocable.htm

    Please note that this recall is essentially only for aftermarket cables, and
    doesn't affect any cables sold prior to April of 2003. This means that
    cables that were part of a component group, or found on a new bike,
    shouldn't be defective. However, the same rules for determining whether
    defective or not apply, so if you want to be safe, you can look at the
    photos I've posted and make sure you're OK.

    Also, if anybody finds anything on my page that's at odds with something
    they've heard, please let me know so I can look into it. My info is based on
    the recall notice mailed out, along with two conversations with Shimano
    customer service people on 1/25/05.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    Tags:

  2. Should have mentioned that the recall affects road bike cables only, not
    mountain bikes.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

  3. "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]
    > Should have mentioned that the recall affects road bike cables only, not
    > mountain bikes.

    Here is a pdf with serial numbers and stuff:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/Consumer Recall Notice Final Jan 2005.pdf

    Back when I had a kid's bike (not that long ago actually), I pulled my brake
    lever hard and inadvertently pulled off one of the heads off a cable and was
    a bit upset to find that my brakes no longer worked. We should have sued ;)

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. > Here is a pdf with serial numbers and stuff:

    > http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/Consumer Recall Notice Final Jan 2005.pdf

    Unfortunately, that info is only good for recognizing the cables in their
    original point-of-purchase packaging, and no good once they're on the bike.
    Shimano faxed me a sheet showing tiny pictures of the markings on the heads,
    which was why I decided to take photos myself and put them up.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

  5. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
    > Shimano announces recall of road bike brake cables that could fail (a very
    > dangerous situation)-
    >
    > We received a semi-cryptic recall notice from Shimano regarding brake cables
    > the other day, and have put together a page that hopefully explains it
    > (along with photos so you can identify good & bad). It may be found at
    >
    > www.ChainReaction.com/recallshimanocable.htm
    >
    > Please note that this recall is essentially only for aftermarket cables, and
    > doesn't affect any cables sold prior to April of 2003. This means that
    > cables that were part of a component group, or found on a new bike,
    > shouldn't be defective. However, the same rules for determining whether
    > defective or not apply, so if you want to be safe, you can look at the
    > photos I've posted and make sure you're OK.
    >
    > Also, if anybody finds anything on my page that's at odds with something
    > they've heard, please let me know so I can look into it. My info is based on
    > the recall notice mailed out, along with two conversations with Shimano
    > customer service people on 1/25/05.
    >
    > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReaction.com
    > IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    Mike, many thanks for the clear and concise explanation of the Shimano
    brake cable recall. This is a real service and you deserve credit for
    making this available. I was wondering, when was it exactly that I
    replaced those cables? Probably in 2003 before the Sierra to the Sea,
    but I can't remember for sure. Maybe it was in 2004. Now I have
    something to look for.

    Dave

  6. Al Williams

    Al Williams Guest

    One of our members (Alto Velo) found the recall notice that Shimano put out
    for the United Kingdom. It is much more clear and informative than the
    message provided in this country. It is
    http://www.shimano-eu.com/cycling/recall/Recall_UnitedKingdom.pdf

    --

    __o
    Keep on Ridin' `\ <

  7. > One of our members (Alto Velo) found the recall notice that Shimano put
    > out for the United Kingdom. It is much more clear and informative than
    > the message provided in this country. It is
    > http://www.shimano-eu.com/cycling/recall/Recall_UnitedKingdom.pdf

    Yes, that's what Shimano *faxed* to me. They said they didn't have anything
    they could email (which seems silly, given that your link is to a .pdf that
    certainly could have been!). And, interestingly, they included instructions
    on releasing the brake cable from the cable guides, so you can inspect the
    cable head... which was exactly what I was going to work on doing tomorrow
    for our website. Guess I don't need to now!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  8. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Mike, thanks for the heads up. I wonder if there is something truly
    defective about these cables, or if they just didn't go through the
    normal inspection process.

    The uk link says that Shimano is not aware of any actual failures of
    the cables, but is voluntarily recalling them.

    Art Harris

  9. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

    > Should have mentioned that the recall affects road bike cables only, not
    > mountain bikes.
    >
    > --Mike Jacoubowsky
    > Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReaction.com
    > IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    I saw the recall notice in ProCycling (British) magazine. It said the
    cables were only sold in the European market as replacements. Did they
    backpedal on that?

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >someone writes:
    >> http://www.shimano-eu.com/cycling/recall/Recall_UnitedKingdom.pdf

    >Yes, that's what Shimano *faxed* to me. They said they didn't have anything
    >they could email (which seems silly, given that your link is to a .pdf that
    >certainly could have been!). And, interestingly, they included instructions
    >on releasing the brake cable from the cable guides, so you can inspect the
    >cable head... which was exactly what I was going to work on doing tomorrow
    >for our website. Guess I don't need to now!

    Perhaps you can put on your web page a link to the above shimano-eu.com
    PDF file, in addition to your enlarged pictures and explanations?

    Timothy J. Lee

  11. Derk

    Derk Guest

  12. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Deleted

  13. > I saw the recall notice in ProCycling (British) magazine. It said the
    > cables were only sold in the European market as replacements. Did they
    > backpedal on that?

    Probably poor wording. Shimano says that none of the bad cables were used on
    bikes or in groups or components; the only defective ones were aftermarket
    replacement cables. So the only defective cables sold in the european market
    were replacements. Same thing could have been said about any market.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  14. > Perhaps you can put on your web page a link to the above shimano-eu.com
    > PDF file, in addition to your enlarged pictures and explanations?

    Just added it to the first paragraph on that page. Curiously, we had a
    Shimano rep in the store today, and that was the first time he'd seen the
    better "euro" info as well. All they'd sent him was the text-only piece that
    really didn't tell you a whole lot.