Shimano brakes - 105 to Dura Ace; 9 to 10 speed

I was inspecting unmounted 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace (all 9 speed
versions) brake calipers and couln't see any performance related
technical differences (other than a few grams and polishing levels and
Phillips vs. Allen screws).

Any one know if there are any real technical differences such as
bushings/bearings or varying bushing quality or spring tension/force,
brake pad compound...etc or even servicing (i.e. one is easier to
adjust/install/repair than another) between Shimano's brakes from 105
to DA? (Sorry, but the lower stuff is getting ugly, esp when 105 brakes
are being sold for 40$ new).

One more thing, any difference to the 10 speed models, other than
esthetics?

Josh

[email protected] wrote:
> I was inspecting unmounted 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace (all 9 speed
> versions) brake calipers and couln't see any performance related
> technical differences (other than a few grams and polishing levels and
> Phillips vs. Allen screws).
>
> Any one know if there are any real technical differences such as
> bushings/bearings or varying bushing quality or spring tension/force,
> brake pad compound...etc or even servicing (i.e. one is easier to
> adjust/install/repair than another) between Shimano's brakes from 105
> to DA? (Sorry, but the lower stuff is getting ugly, esp when 105 brakes
> are being sold for 40$ new).
>
> One more thing, any difference to the 10 speed models, other than
> esthetics?
>
> Josh

imo, the 105 is a better mechanical configuration than the dura-ace
because the tensile side of the longest arm is the thickest thus giving
a theoretical fatigue advantage. however, since fatigue in brake
calipers is so rare, i think we can ignore this difference.

other than that, the modern 105 and d-a series all have adjustable angle
pad mounts [a good thing], identical pad materials, same stiffness
springs, etc. apart from weight, there's really nothing to
differentiate their performance.

btw, the 105 calipers you see on sale for $40 are the old ones without
adjustable angle pad mounts, not the new ones. the old ones have a
fixed toe that traps and embeds grit like it was designed to do it and i
think should be avoided.

[email protected] wrote:
> I was inspecting unmounted 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace (all 9 speed
> versions) brake calipers and couln't see any performance related
> technical differences (other than a few grams and polishing levels and
> Phillips vs. Allen screws).
>
> Any one know if there are any real technical differences such as
> bushings/bearings or varying bushing quality or spring tension/force,
> brake pad compound...etc or even servicing (i.e. one is easier to
> adjust/install/repair than another) between Shimano's brakes from 105
> to DA? (Sorry, but the lower stuff is getting ugly, esp when 105 brakes
> are being sold for 40$ new).
>
> One more thing, any difference to the 10 speed models, other than
> esthetics?
>
> Josh

You summed it up well...105 brakes, even Sora and Tiagra, work great,
MUCH less expensive and will stop you ust fine and dandy..same for
Campag brakes....

So by absence of knowledge of any differences (rather than a certainty
that there is none), I take it the only technical difference is the
conical washers for the brake pads?

Peter, I don't think I'm too big a snob - my bikes range from 105 to
Record/DA Shimagnolo combo (though my fav is Chorus grouppo) - but that
Tia and Sora stuff is ugly. Can't believe you would lower yourself to
mention those (half kidding). But maybe I am a bigger snob than I think
as I have a hard time (mentally) installing Tektro's on a bike. I think
I'll swap it out for 105s.

[email protected] wrote:
> So by absence of knowledge of any differences (rather than a certainty
> that there is none), I take it the only technical difference is the
> conical washers for the brake pads?
>
> Peter, I don't think I'm too big a snob - my bikes range from 105 to
> Record/DA Shimagnolo combo (though my fav is Chorus grouppo) - but that
> Tia and Sora stuff is ugly. Can't believe you would lower yourself to
> mention those (half kidding). But maybe I am a bigger snob than I think
> as I have a hard time (mentally) installing Tektro's on a bike. I think
> I'll swap it out for 105s.

Well, ya want the brakes to stop ya, little else really matters...it's
kinda like spending lots of $ on a seatpost, when all it does is hold
the saddle, or a stem, when all it does is hold the hbars...Tektros are
great brakes made in a place that has lower labor than Japan..hence
nice brakes for not a lot of $. I took a Paul front OFF my fixie cuz it
made the fork shudder, and installed a Tektro, that stopped fine,
didn't make the fork shudder and was 1/4 the $.